51 windsor power steering conversion

Hello. New to the group. Looking to convert from manual to power steering on a 51 chrysler windsor. Dad and I just finished a half decent restoration of it. Now that it's road licensed, he does not like to drive it as the steering is difficult for him. He's 75. Anybody have any input or advise other than pumping him full of steroids. I am assuming the parts could be found without too much trouble, but I have searched on the internet a bit and not found much. Thanks. Richard

Another potential solution if you cannot go the power steering route would be to have the steering box rebuilt. I took a Ross steering box to a place that specializes in rebuilding truck units. The pitman arm shaft was worn -- they welded it and then turned it down to the orginal dimension, and installed a new bushing to fit the shaft. They also cut a groove into the shaft to accept an O-ring, so I could fill the box with oil rather than grease. Wound up with much easier steering, with much less wheel play.

Actually the steering box was just rebuilt by a company on the west coast ( Canada). The car only has about 20 miles on it since so maybe it will loosen up a bit with some use. Will try the oiling of the upper steering column. I have been wondering if the steering would improve much with a wheel alignment. Probably a good thing to do anyway as I'm sure it's been a while since it had one. Thanks for the input.

Richard

Hi,jack up the car so there's no weight on the tires & make the sector & worm gear adjustment to the gear box. Then move the wheels full left to right several times by hand to see if you can feel anytightness or roughness during the movement. If you feel either of these conditions, the gear adjustment is too tight.Reajustgear box until you can move wheelsleft to right br hand & the movement is smooth.....plymoth