Hard Shifting on 49 Chrysler Fluid Drive

My 1949 Chrysler Windsor shifts like it bangs hard when I let my foot off of the gas like it says to around 6-11 mph. If I depress the clutch, it merely clicks. When I try to do it the "correct way" it is violent like a hard grabbing feeling. The fluid in the converter was checked and it was full, and the gearbox is full. Could someone help me figure out why this does not shift smoothly when I raise my foot off the gas? It is a Canadian Chrysler Windsor with the 251 six, Fluid Drive.

After I bought the car during Spring Break, I took it to a mechanic friend who checked the oil. After I had to show him how to get to the access panel and then rotate the converter, he unscrewed the plug, put the tip of his finger in, and the fluid was black, like motor oil. I have read that using 10w motor oil was what was recommended, and it appeared to be full, just below the screw in plug. Perhaps this is wrong? I have not put any fluid in at all since I bought the car. Could this be the problem? Should I have it drained out and refilled? What would be the preferred fluid? I hope that it is not the original Gyroil!! that is in the case. Thanks for the reply, this is my first time in this forum.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

I have a 1950 Imperial and a 1951 De Soto and I changed the fluid in both of my fluid torques. I would reccommend that you do the same. I used 10W oil in both and have had no problems with either car. You may want to check your solenoid switch and the governor on the transmission. Perhaps the contacts are dirty. I put the car in the high range and accelerate up to 30mph, let off on the gas, and there is a small "clunk" when it shifts, but not a noticable bang...the Imperial is much quieter than the De Soto.

• 4 years later...
Guest Firstcityfireman

On the same subject of fluid drive transmissions, I just bought a 1950 Chrysler Royal and am unfamiliar with these trannys. Can you check the fluid level from the engine compartment or do you need to get underneath to the transmission to pull the plug and check the level? She shifts beautifully when I took her out and I am looking forward to really understanding the works of the fluid drive!! Thanks for your input!

Firstcityfireman--

The Fluid Drive and the transmission are two separate units and do not share their oil supply.

The transmission oil level is checked by removing the upper of the two plugs on the right-hand side of the transmission case. Level should be up to the bottom of the hole. Chrysler specified 10 weight oil for the semi-automatic transmissions, but many people here report good or better service with 20W.

The Fluid Drive level is checked by removing the access plate on the right-hand side of the transmission tunnel, under the floor carpeting. Then remove the snap-in cover on the side of the housing, which exposes the Fluid Drive unit itself. Jog the engine until one of the filler plugs appears in the window. Fluid should be up to the level of the filler plug hole.

When performing this operation, use a magnetic socket or stuff a rag firmly around the bottom of the filler plug while unscrewing it. It's very easy to drop the plug down into the housing and very hard to get it back out.

At some model year, Chrysler stopped providing access to the Fluid Drive through a floor plate, apparently on the theory that the unit never needed topping up. I don't know for sure whether 1950 models have the floor access plate.

For lots of easy-to-read information on the semi-automatic transmission used with Fluid Drive, go to the Imperial Club website and look for the booklets on the "Hydraulically Operated Transmission."

Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics

Have fun!

Doug

Guest Firstcityfireman

Thanks Doug, appreciate the info! I am slowly figuring this ole Chrysler out! lol Ya still in N. Hollywood? My brother and his fiance live in N. Hollywood in the valley......fun times up there!

Jim

• 2 years later...
Guest Juan A. Cervantes

Hello guys, I am a junior member. All of this talk about these old cars is very interesting. I just bought a 1949 Chrysler Royal for $3,500.00. It's a very nice looking car for its age. The car is all there mouldings, chrome and all buttons on the dash. This is an awsome car and I am very happy with my buy. The only thing is that I haven't even put it on the road yet. I'm fixing a couple of very minor things on it and I'm also trying to figure out this Fluid Drive transmission.

Any good name brand 10W30 motor oil will be fine. Some prefer to use Shell Rotella 15W40, they feel it offers extra protection. It is very good oil and you will not go wrong using it.

For the Fluid Drive unit and transmission, the factory recommends 10 motor oil. Some on this board use TDH Tractor Fluid, ISO 32 grade. TDH stands for transmission, differential and hydraulic oil so it should be good for your transmission.

• 6 months later...
Guest Juan A. Cervantes

Hello Rusty, a while back you answered aquestion for me on the type of oil that I needed to put on my 1949 Chrysler Royals trany. Which of the plugs is for which oil? There are two plugs on the right hand side of the trans case (one of the two is on top of the other), then there's an other one that's a little smaller right on top of those (all of these three plugs are pointing towards the passanger door) and then, there's another one to the left of the other three plugs (this one is pointing upward). Can you explain what each plug is for please? You also said the last time that the fluid drive oil was checked by removing the snap in cover on the side of the housing: you said that if I jogged the engine a few times that the filler plugs would appear on the window. I jogged the engine quite a few times and no filler plugs appeard. So, I'm wondering if one of those plugs on the side of the tranny are for the fluid drive and the tranny oil? Please explain if you can, I don't want to put the wrong oil on my tranny. Thank's

There are 2 pipe plugs on the right side of the transmission, one above the other. The lower plug, at the bottom of the transmission, is the drain plug for draining out the old oil. The other one, half way up the side, is the fill plug and level plug.

Remove the upper plug and stick your finger in. If you can touch the oil it is fine. If not, add #10 oil, or TDH tractor fluid, ISO 32 or 22 grade. Add until it starts to overflow or drip out. Then put the plug back in.

To change the oil use the drain plug to drain out the old oil then refill as above.

The access plate for the fluid drive unit is farther forward than the one for the transmission. It is directly below the instrument panel on the right side of the transmission tunnel. Roll back the carpet, remove the plate, and you should find the bellhousing. There should be a round hole covered by a snap in disc. Pry this out and you should see the fluid drive unit. Bump the starter until you see the drain/fill plug. This could take a while, there is only one and if you turn the engine too fast you could miss it.

Before you take out the plug stuff a rag around the hole so you can't accidentally drop it in the bellhousing or under the car.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Juan A. Cervantes

Rusty, thanks for the past info. I found the plug for the Fluid Drive in my 49 Chrysler. But, as I was taking the plug off it fell inside the Fluid Drive unit. Do you have any suggestions on how to get it out? I stuck a magnet in there hoping that I could locate it but didn't have any luck. Any suggestions would help out a great deal. Thankyou.

Guest Juan A. Cervantes

Hello Doug, my name is Juan. I was reading the message that you posted about the Fluid Drive trannys. You were explaining on where to find the Fluid Drive fill plug. I recently bought a 1949 2 door Chrysler Royal and I'm still trying to figure out a lot about this car. It's a fun car to drive . It is still a very complete car considering its age. Everything is still original on the car, but anyways, I took the fill plug off of theFluid Drive unit and while I was taking it off it fell into the unit. Do you have any suggestions on how to take it out? any suggestions would help out a great deal. I stuck a magnet in there hoping that I could fish it out but no luck. Thanks Doug.

That is why I suggested you stuff a rag around the hole. Oh well I found out the same way.

The plug should fall to the bottom. Take the cover plate off the bottom of the bellhousing. If the plug does not fall out, turn the fluid coupling by prying on the ring gear. Do not turn too far or some oil might leak out.