A Dipstick Has Quesion About the Dipstick

kenmatthews

Ok so I'm a dipstick...hehehe. Recently I noticed my tranny dipstick will come out of its place resulting in fluid flying out the chute and landing (& burning) on the exhaust manifold.

I've tried clamping together with a pair of plyers to tighten the fit but still will pop up. My next step is to find a weasher and super glue it in place to grab the chute.

Any bright ideas out there?

Guest imported_NikeAjax

Ken, what's causing your motor to shake that bad? A motor shouldn't shake enough to make a dip stick shake out like that unless something is causing it to rattle and vibrate like that, but you could try putting a few slight kinks or bends in the stick to help keep it in place. Is your fill tube connected to anything in the middle or top; make sure! If it isn't, you may end up fracturing the tube and then you will lose lot of ATF from constant back and forth, you know metal fatigue, think DC-10 and MD-80, ouch! Make sure your motor mounts are good too.

Just some thoughts!

Jaybird

Hi Ken

Is it the stick or the pipe that is loose? If it is the stick , you can add to the "S" bends in the stick so it will grab the walls of the tube. The dipstick is not intended to seal the end of the pipe. Sometimes the transmission will puke out of the pipe. This is usually on start up after prolonged inactivity. This can be caused by the torque converter draining back into the pan, overfilling the pan and then when you start it the rush of air coming out of the empty torque converter will push fluid out of the dipstick pipe. All of mine do this occasionally but constant puking is an indication for transmission work.

If the pipe is loose then that needs work: clamped to the short pipe from the transmission pan and to the back of the right cylinder head.

Willie

JAYBIRD/WILLIE,

Both good posts. I'll check next time I fire up the engine if the pipe is loose. If so, will be an obvious fix. Someone else pulled the engine for the rebuild so I'm going through everything and the dipstick is only one of my action items. I also have to deal with the hood constantly popping up where they improperly installed it. There's more gap on one side than the other.

I forgot to mention that the dipstick is really two parts: the stick itself plus the the cap which has come loose and flops around up near the curled top. Of course I could buy a new dipstick, but that's the easy way out. I'll check the pipe next time and check in with you. Things are getting crossed off my list...slowly.

KEN

Guest imported_NikeAjax

Ken, do yourself a big favor when you realign your hood, take the latching device out until you get it lined-up where you want it. If you don't, you may end up getting it stuck where you won't/can't get it to open again; this can be a very hard fix once it's in that position.

If you don't have one yet, make yourself a holder-oner for the top of your dipstick; an old coffee can is good enough. Flatten it out and cut it so that one end has a hole to fit on a bolt for the sump(?) of your oil filter, then wrap the other end of it around your dip stick and use a self-tapping screw to set that in place. Try making one out of cardboard first so you can play with the size and all.

Hope this is some help,

Jaybird

Ken,

Been way too many years since I've seen a '55 Dynaflow out of a car so do not remember where the breather is but if it is plugged up pressure will only be able to get out through seals (the hard way) or the dipstick/filler tube (the easy way) so you might have enough air pushing out to cause a problem at times (perhaps as Willie says excessive fluid from the troque converter after sitting a long time) although the shop manual indicates that an overfilled condition will result in transmission oil spewing out the breather (since it would be a much lower exit point compared to the dipstick tube).

Good luck resolving...

• 2 weeks later...

Jaybird,

Actually the motor isn't shaking bad at all, I have it tuned to 5 deg. TDC and runs quite smooth. The accelerator however is a different issue (ugh...!!).

As I accelerated the engine by moving the throttle linkage, I noticed that quite a bit of tranny fluid jumped out of the dipstick tube. To confirm another suggestion, the tube securely fastened to proper location so nothing is looose.

My only thought is that maybe there's too much fluid in there and it's hopping out the only way it can...?

Here's a thought: How much does the engine "torque over" when it's under load (accelerating)? A broken motor mount can allow it to move enough to, maybe, cause this splashing. The old 401 nailhead, at least in '65, had a nasty reputation for breaking mounts on the driver's side, allowing the engine to torque up and bind the accelerator linkage. It would even PULL the pedal down to the floor--unintended acceleration! There was a re-call, but the most common "fix" was a piece of chain or cable securing the engine down, as even a new mount would often break in no time. They just didn't seem to be able to resist upward force.

Actually Guy, it has all new motor mounts when I rebuilt the engine. The fluid just seems to gush out on its own and I don't notice any torquing of the engine out of place.

I'll keep an eye on it to see if a bit more driving doesn't cure it. Then I'll know it was just too much fluid poured in.

Sounds like you may want to drop the pan, drain, replace filter and refill with recommended amout of fluid. Sounds to me like you have too much in there.

Guy isn't kidding about a broken motor mount causing near disaster with stuck throttle linkage. it happened to me on my 65 Riv 425 dual quad, and when the second 4 bbl kicked in my asscheeks were grabbing the seat till I got the key shut off.

jake

Mine went during rush hour on Lake Street in Minneapolis as I was passing a bus. Yee Haw! The only "fix" if it really gets going is to turn the ignition off. An audible cue is the fan blades start hitting the shroud--the engine moves that much. Braking will stop the car, but the engine will keep going faster. You can feel the accelerator being sucked down under your foot. A truly nightmarish experience.

The reason I didn't have the "tiedown" on this engine is because it had just been swapped in and NEW motor mount installed. The new one broke in less than 200 miles. It was a '65 Electra with a 401. I don't know all the models affected by this malady, but BEWARE!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update. Tranny fluid seems to fly out if I really rev the engine which is necessary since accelerator pump fails on me. I know right away of course because fluid drips onto hot exhaust pipe and begins burning off...I've now grown accustomed to the smell and recognize it immediately.

I may try to rig something on the outer shaft to keep dipstick fastened in place although that shouldn't be necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, this problem really has me stumped. So much so that I went back and re-re-rechecked the motor mounts just in case. Transmission fluid will just gush out of the dipstick usually when I gas it. Well now I noticed a new trend (just like a woman eh? unpredictable).

I was installing a newly rebuilt carb and setting the manual choke. When I turned the engine off after finally getting everything set and having run for 2-3 minutes, fluid gushes out for a few seconds.

Logic tells me: did this happen before?

Ans: No never.

What was the last thing changed before this started happening?

Ans: Rebuilt engine.

What if I were to plug up the tranny fluid dipstick entry and pull out the dipstick for now? Would that create any unnecessary pressure?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if I were to plug up the tranny fluid dipstick entry and pull out the dipstick for now? Would that create any unnecessary pressure?</div></div> Oh, my, I would THINK so! What you've got now is pressure being released through the dipstick tube--where else would it go if you plugged that? As to whether it would be "unnecessary" pressure, it sure wouldn't be "necessary" and might be excessive. A plug would at best be a "band-aid" and at worst a blown seal somewhere else.

Here's a wild one--what would happen if the cooling line to the radiator got plugged?? This could cause back-pressure (perhaps) and would certainly cause overheating which will make fluid percolate out the dipstick tube. Never heard of them plugging, but it seems to be wild-guess time. Any chance the lines may have been kinked or reversed when they were reconnected after the engine was installed?

DO these transmissions have a vent other than the dipstick tube? If so, and if it was plugged, that would be a place to look.

Don't know much... but this is quite an interesting dilemma.

Finally, are you POSITIVE that you have the correct amount of fluid in the trans? If you remove the pan, drain it, and add just enough to re-fill it (not the converter) to the correct level you can eliminate that question. You could put a new screen in while you were at it.

Keep us posted, please. Inqiring minds want to know.

Hey Ken

This sounds like it is overfilled. Drain the pan and add one quart at a time until showing on the dipstick...drive until hot and recheck the level.

As far as vents go there is vent on top of the rear of the transmission...you may be able to see or feel a 1/8" tube pointing down from the top. This is easy to remove with the tranny out, but is probably impossible otherwise. Put a hose on the end of the tube and blow to see if it is clogged.

Did you do anything with the tranny when the engine was rebuilt? Was it working well before the engine work? All of this down time may have caused some seals, internal and external to give up.

You may have to start saving your allowance for a tranny rebuild.

Willie

Oh boy...what a scare!!  I started the car to do some more troubleshooting and drove it around the block. Started smoking from fluid dripping onto exhaust manifold and when I parked, popped the hood, it caught on fire. Fluid had spewed up onto distributor, valley pan. Good thing I had just bought an extinguisher the other day.

I'll take your suggestion and take a peek at the drop pan/screen filter.

• 3 weeks later...

Right on OLD TANK!! Lifted it up this wknd and check that rear vent tube you mentioned. It was bent shut, so I bent it back and blew air through it. I was never so happy to have tranny fluid drip all over me.

Prior to that, I had to put 6 bottles of fluid in it before any registered on the dipstick. So it definitely was NOT overfilled as previously suspected.

While I was under there, found some other suspect activity from lazy mechanics when they were reinstalling the exhaust manifolds. Just goes to show, you are your own best mechanic.

I should stop and say a big thanks to Willie (OLD TANK). While I'm on it, thanks to a lot of folks here at AACA.org in the BUICK section because I now have my Buick back on the road and can really enjoy the car. It was down and out for about 2 yrs but I was patient and did my homework with most of you guys as mentors.

So even if you are young, don't have a garage, or mechanic experience, this can be done. It can also be frustrating and a pain in the arse, but in the end it's very fun and rewarding. I've learned so much from you guys and find this forum a invaluable source of information.

Thanks guys!

Ken,

I could not remember exactly where the breather tube was but I'd take a good look at the transmission mount as well since the only way I can think of for the breather tube to have been bent while you were having the engine rebuilt would be for the garage to have let the transmission sit unsupported (which would allow it to tilt downward at the front until the transmission output shaft casing rested against the floorpan bending the tube) so it may of been damaged. (This assuming the transmission was not pulled with the engine - if it was they must have lifted the engine before the transmission was clear bending the tube in this way.)

Gene,

They didn't pull the transmission, so it may well have rested in the position you mentioned, which is the only logical way I can think of that breather tube getting kinked like it did. The tube, by the way, is towards the rear of the transmissin on top. It comes straight up out of the top of transmission and turns 180 degrees to point downward. Sort of like an upside down letter "J."

As soon as I bent back up and sent some air through it...fluid shot out of the dipstick. After that, I refilled and never was able to make it puke anymore.

I'll take another look at the mount(s)...I assume there are two in the back or just one?

K

Hey Ken

Thanks for the kind words and I am glad you finally got it fixed. Just go ahead and order a transmission mount and thrust pad from Bob's or Cars and replace if they have never replaced...good insurance. If they are bad you risk breaking the motor mounts, then the whole drivetrain will move causing problems with your shift linkage and tow charges maybe.

Willie

When I mentioned it could be the vent, I should have mentioned one more thing. WATER in the transmission ! A leaking cooler will put water into your unit. The oil temperature can greatly exceed the boiling point of water,so steam will cause overflow also. To emphasize a point I mentioned earlier, If you find a Buick that has had an underhood fire,could have been a belching filler tube. Working on Dynaflows since 1947 (in Flint).Ralph Crisp BCA 2399

Ken,

As Willie says there are two mounts (one being called a thrust pad). He is absolutely correct - if the rubber separates from the steel the engine/transmission/rear axle unit will all shift about and under hard breaking do nasty things to your radiator. If they look at all bad I'd replacement 'em straight-a-way.

Thanks I'll put in on my TO DO list for the wknd. One interesting thing is I notice a rough hum somewhere around 45mph and goes away once I reach beyond about 55mph. Speedo doesn't work so I'm guessing based on my surroundings. Above and below this range the sound goes away but if I'm on the highway and come down into the range, it sounds right away.

I part suspect it's the new engine rebuild still breaking in (?). I'm coming up on 500 miles.