1952 chrysler saratoga shifting problems

My neighbor has just bought this car. It has a hemi V-8 in it. He needs info as to how the button works on the shifter lever..

All he has done so far is depressed the clutch, put it in drive and drove around the block. He thought the car would shift automatically

after engaging drive but it did not. His thought was the button was some sort of overdrive. Of course he has not done the obvious

, like checking fluids or perhaps cracked vacum lines etc. I guess first things first as to what is the proper operation of this button?

Thanks in advance guys.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

If my memory serves me correctly the button at the end of the shift lever was a kickdown switch that was an accessory add on. What it was used for was to make the transmission downshift as you went around the corner. Usually the car did not slow down sufficiently to make the car downshift, so you pushed the button and it shifted the car into low gear so your speed was quicker around the corner. The only other way was to depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor. This just made the downshift quicker and easier.