Need help identifying transmission

I have recently acquired a 1965 Ford F100 with a 1969 Mustang 302 V8. The previous owner says he was told it had a pre-FMX transmission in it possibly a 1954 model. The warranaty plate on the door identifies the transmission as "G" which from what I can tell is a "Heavy Duty Cruise-O-Matic." Can anyone tell me how to find out what this transmission really is? This transmission shifts hard and strong and I definitely want to keep it but I can't even tell how to determine how much fluid should read on the dipstick. I was told it uses Type-F fluid.

According to my National Service Data for 1965, there should be two lines of numbers on the ID plate. It should read something like "PCE-BG". If so, it is intended to match to a 390 CID with a 4 bbl carburetor. It does take type F and has a total capacity of 11 quarts from a dry start.

Thank you very much for your information. I haven't been able to find this ID plate you are referring to. Is this ID plate on the transmission itself and if so is it on the drivers side or passengers side or just where is it anyway?