removing dash pad

seasand77

on my '68, we had to pull both the padding and the plastic bits as a single unit. Doing this resulted in much pain, suffering, scrapped knuckles, and profanity.

I certainly would hope there's a better way. But I don't know off-hand what it would be.

Guest imported_starfire

Your first step would be to get a Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual (not a Chiltons or Helms or other, a factory service manual). This will give you pictures of the location of the fasteners. Your best bet, without the pictures is to take out the front seats, put towels over the seat studs, and lay on your back under the dash and feel for the nuts that hold the dash on. I believe they are 5/16" nuts. You'll want a 1/4 inch rachet with 3" and 6" extentions. If you remove the plastic panel (where the lighter, ashtray, radio, etc are located) be careful. There is a nut just to the right (as you're looking at it) of the ashtray that a lot of people don't realize is there and they think the panel is just stuck, so they pull on it and break off the stud giving them a nice hole in that panel.

Check ebay or your local swaps for the Chassis Service Manual. If your doing wiring work you'll want one anyway.