'36-'38 Zephyr wheels

38fordpickup

Are the "wide 5" bolt pattern wheels used on '36-'38 Zephyrs the same width as '36-'39 Ford car and pickup wheels, or are the Zephyr wheels wider? I'm thinking it's the same wheel, but I'm prepared to be wrong (I'd love to be wrong if Zephyr wheels would let me put wider tires on my '38 Ford pickup).

--Lamar Wadsworth

Rockmart GA

The '36 and '37 both have wheels with part number 68-1015-A, which is a 1936 Ford part number. I seem to recall discussions that the wheel became wider in '39(?), but I can't be sure. If I can track down my manual, I'll let you know for sure.

The Ford parts book also only lists the 68-1015-A as the only wheel for '36-'39 Fords, passenger and commercial, and station wagon, sort of strange, because with the suffix A, you would assume there would be a B, but there is none listed, but the Zephyrs put a big 7:00 X 16" tire on those narrow 4" wide Ford rims, making those difficult to balance rims even more difficult, go figure?? Rolf

Guest imported_V12Bill

Cecil, I think that the wide pattern wheel was changed to the small pattern wheel in mid 1938. There are two different size hubcaps for 38 Lincolns to cover the two different size bolt patterns. I don't know the date of the change.

Bill