Glad to see 59's are so popular!

Guest invicta592

Guest invicta592

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Brian for the welcome he gave me on a previous post, to Trevor Ward for giving me the URL, and thanks to all the contributors on the forums from whom I've learnt heaps of stuff already.

I thought I'd post a few piccies of my '59 Invicta Hardtop for you to admire/yawn at/ridicule (*delete as applicable!!).

Obviously, I don't know how rare the '59's are in their homeland, but they certainly aren't falling off apple trees here in the UK. I know of about 10 other 59's in the UK, but no other Invicta 2 door H/T's.

My car was built in California, and it lived in Carmel from new until 1989, when it was shipped to the UK. It's been through 4 owners over here before I got it, and have spent the last 5 years putting right as many nasty repairs as is possible. Where possible reconditioned or NOS items go on the car to replace non-standard or worn out parts.

As you can see, the car is not an original colour. A previous owner has retrimmed the car in red and cream leather, and sprayed the car Candy Red. When I first got the car, I had all intentions of restoring it to the original colour, but the Red has grown on me and will probably stay. The original colour was Silver Birch.

Well, thats a brief introduction to my car. I look forward to joining in with the discussions sometime.

Have fun folks!

Dave

Dave, I appreciate seeing your photos, and I'm certain that everyone else will enjoy seeing them as well!

One of the Buick historical books states that the '59 Buicks were a spectacular design. Whenever I see a nice car like yours, I am reminded that these cars must have looked quite amazing to new car shoppers when they appeared during the fall of 1958.

Thank you also for the background information on your car; a car's history is part of what makes it interesting and unique.

I note that some of the photos show other vintage American cars in the background. Do you own others, or do these cars belong to other enthusiasts in the U.K.?

We look forward to your participation on this forum during the years ahead.

Guest invicta592

A spectacular design indeed... One of the things that struck me about some of the advertising literature I've seen was that a lot of the images of the 2 door '59's seemed to show young(ish) middle management types leaning against the car in an effort to demonstate that this was a car for the dynamic, thrusting, successful type.

My own personal thought's were that with styling so radical, with rocket tail lamps, massive fins and, dare I say, a very aggresive looking front end, that this would indeed have been a car for the... errr... "younger" person.

I was astounded to find out not that Mr Paul Swanson, of Carmel, California was indeed a succesful business man with his own restaurant, but that he was 60 years old when he bought it brand new!! I don't know what car today would be the equivalent of the '59 Buick in terms of radical styling and aggressive looks, but I bet not many 60 year old's would be considering purchasing it!!!

As it happens Brian, there are quite a number of fellow lunatics in the UK who lust after, cherish and adore American vehicles. In the area near me, we have a monthly cruise, which normaly attracts 12 - 18 cars. I usuall yget to that, as does my partner Sandra, in her '69 Mustang 302 coupe.

There are also some car shows which attract a lot of cars. My personal favourite is not just a pure car show, its also a large music festival.

Check it out at http://www.americana-international.co.uk

If you click on the previous event tab, you'll see some of the vehicles that made it last year. I believe that there we about 6000 American vehicles there last year, which includes Cars from the 20's to current, pick up trucks, RV's, Harleys, and a dozen or so Big Rig trucks.

The next event is in a mere three weeks time, so I may have a few pictures to share shortly after the alcohol effect has disappeard smile.gif)

Dave, thank you for the link you provided. It's fun to see the cars and events that you have an opportunity to enjoy in the U.K.

Thank you, too, for the additional history regarding your '59's original owner. It is unusual to have the full ownership history for a 45-year old car.

We look forward to photos from your upcoming event, and hope you enjoy a great time cruising and showing your beautiful Invicta.