331 hemi

I have a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe with a 331 hemi engine. When starting, the engine initially turns over very slow. I replaced the 6 volt battery, but still have the problem. The problem worsens the more I start it. Could it be the starter? [color:"black"]

Make sure all battery cables are in good shape and have no undue resistance inside them (even if they look good on the outside) and still have the molded-on terminals for the battery. Then, make sure the battery is at full charge. Even new batteries, as purchased, are not usually at full charge.

The starter could have some brushes that are weak or somewhat dirty from age and use. Might not hurt to check for current draw when starting the engine too.

The other thing is that those older starters did not spin things over as fast as the later 12 volt systems did, even when everything is operating correctly. You might make sure the ignition is in good shape and maybe put some modern spark plugs in it (NGK V-Power, for example) that have lower voltage requirements to fire. The quicker it'll start, the less of an issue the starting time is.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Kim, you already have received good advice. I had the same trouble with my 1954 New Yorker Deluxe, but a new battery cable solved the problem. Make sure you are using the heavy 6 volt cables, not the lighter 12 volt cables. Good Luck.