Near-A-Car Scooter ??

Brad30

More of a Motorcycle considering it was made in the 20s. Was made in Syracuse NY. A friend owns an on restored one. I have pictures of a resotred one along with the info board from it if I can figure out how to attach them.

Guest Albert

Yes it is a motorcycle, ner-a-car its a single cylinder motor, I have seen only one at a motorcycle show years ago. check the net i have seen them listed, it's has a erals type fork on the front with a center hub steering, really an unusual bike.

Carl Neracher invented the Ner-A-Car in 1915. Could not find a manufacturer in US so had some made in England and then finally started making the US version around 1920. It's a one-cylinder upright engine with a friction drive. Steering is accomplished by "near-a-car" type linkage with a king pin in the center of the front wheel hub. Center of gravity was below the hubs of the wheels making it an extremely stable bike. It is generally classified as a motorcycle, although the almost step through construction could make some call it a motorscooter Cannonball Baker once drove one from New York to San Francisco (or vice versa) and claimed an average of 100 MPG. I have one and some factory photos if you want more info.

Guest BruceW

There is an web site devoted to the Ner-a-Car and a book written on the vehicle. The site contains about a dozen photos (many of them show Ner-a-Cars in action) and a chronological history of the vehicle at:

http://mysite.freeserve.com/neracar

According to the web site, there are 40 complete vehicles known to exist.

Bruce, Thanks for the website info. Was not aware there was one. Hopefully will finally get around to working on mine soon. Only 40? Think that number is a little low since I knon of one man that used to own about 15-20. Ron