39 desoto axel removal

I would think this one is easy, but.... I want to take out the pumpkin out of a 39 desoto and put it into my 36 desoto for the correct gears for O.D. Are the axels pressed on? Motors book does not touch this area.Just says to remove.Great, I would like to! So what is the procedure? Probably real simple?Thanks!

Dear Sir, I don't think you can swap the 3rd member from the 39 tothe 36 car as the 36 3rd member isn't "Hypoid". 1937 through 19523rd members are "Hypoid"( the pinoin gear is set below the center of the ring gear ).

Chrysler/Desoto were some of the earliest to have hypoid rear differential.My 36 desoto Airstream custom coupe does have a hypoid rear and I believe it was the first yr(a good thing).I just have to get the axels off to pull the ring and pinion free.

Well, it was too easy as I had thought. The rusted drums would not come off, to get to the axel seal retainer bolts. Soooo... a cutting torch solved the problem.I cut behind the drum, through the axels and they fell away from the cluster gears. But.. the oil was dried up and two teeth were rusted away on the ring gear.Next productive project is waiting!