HELP! Need literature in regaurd to 1916 Crane-Simplex

We need help finding literature about a 1916 Crane-Simplex. My husband is helping with the restoration and he is in charge of the electrical part of the project. Because he was hired to help late into the project he didn't get a chance to see the way things were put together prior to the car being taken apart. Were confident that he will be able to do the job without any diagrams to go by but it would be great if we could find someone to help us who deals in out of print material for vintage classic automobiles such as this one. Can anyone help us find such a dealer? Thanks alot, Orangegetee@aol.com

• 6 years later...
Guest Stephen Gray

I have a Simplex Script spanner wrench. I don't know what it's application may be. Is this something that may be of use in your Simplex project? Thanks, Steve

I have a Simplex Script spanner wrench. I don't know what it's application may be. Is this something that may be of use in your Simplex project? Thanks, Steve

Do you have a photo to post? It's hard to tell what it is for if we cannot see the actual script.

• 4 months later...

Do you have any information on tracking down the provenance of Simplex Cranes? We have #2308. The car was road tested by the Simplex Test Driver on 2/27/1917 and delivered on 3/1/1917 with coachwork by Kimball and I would love to know who the original owner was. We have traced it back to Pauline B. Snook of Schodack Center, NY, 1947, perhaps earlier, to 1962 when she died. She and her husband, Frank E. ran a garage there starting in 1929. She was very active in antique car circles in the area. Frank may have then owned the car as he survived her, I don't know. Their son Gordon F. Snook of Castleton, NY, owned it in 1981.

Any info would be most appreciated. Roberto Rodriguez, Executive Director, Seal Cove Auto Museum.

• 6 months later...

Could it be a Rudge-Whitworth wrench to remove/reinstall the

ring which attaches the wheels?

The wrench would be metal, larger than & somewhat like an oil filter wrench.

Wording Rudge -Whitworth stamped in the metal.

If so, the Seal Cove Auto Museum may own the car that it came from. The wrench we are looking for was sold to someone at Barrett-Jackson a number of years ago.

Roberto M Rodriguez

Executive Director,

Seal Cove Auto Museum

director@sealcoveautomuseum.org