Please Help- Rumble Lid Handle/ Chrysler 75 1929 Roadster

Hello !

Additionally I am looking for a Rumble Lid Handle with Lock Cylinder(if possible Original)for my Chrysler 75 1929 Roadster.

Who can offer me this item or can give me any information where to buy it?

Please give me a short message.

Thank you,

Peter

I have a friend with a 1929 Chrysler 75 roadster and a lot of spare parts.He is overseas until August but I will enquire for you when he gets home.

Meanwhile,I am rebuilding a 1928 Chrysler 72 as a Le Mans type special.I have some home made moulds for the rubber spring locating blocks but I am not confident of getting a good result from them.

Can you help me by telling me what you have done for those blocks for your car?

Doug McKay.

• 2 months later...

Dear Doug McKay !

First, thank you for your reply.

I could not answer earlier, for I was work-related out of town the last 2 months.

To your question: I live in Austria /Europe and got my Chrysler from Australia last year,so I am no "expert" in vintage cars.

Provided that I mean the same rubber parts I can only give you the advice (internet address)www.steelerubber.com. I hope this will be an assistance for you.

To my problem with the Chrysler parts for my "75" Roadster 1929 it would be very nice if you could arrange the contact with your friend.

(At the moment I need a Rumble Lid Handle with working Lock Cylinder and the 2 Rumble Seat Steps).

PS:In the WPC General Forum I read that you have a booklet about Chrysler Cars

("72" "75")at Le Mans ? signed with the same name ?

Would you be so kind to offer me such a booklet too?

So I try to send this message also to the internet address

fitzmckay@bigpond.com ? I hope it is the right one.

Please give me a short reply again.

Thank you and Best regards,

Peter Semmelrock

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Peter,

I am replying here on the forum rather than by private email in case this is of interest to others.I also look forward to communicating with you by email with photos of my car and your car for extra interest.I will send you an email with some photos in a day or so.

Meanwhile,addressing the various point of your post as follows:

A- Iam interested to know where in Australia your car came from and its history.My "72" has been in my family since new,albeit in derelict condition for the last 50 years until I met Ray Jones in Sydney who runs the best Chrysler "75" roadster in the world.He has helped me with my "72" recreation which is not a replica of the 1928 "72" roadsters which came 3rd and 4th at Le Mans that year but has a fabric covered Vanden Plas style body in period,high ratio differential and sufficient engine modifications to ensure 70mph to 80 mph cruising speed and a top speed over 100mph.His car was timed at 118mph at the Le Mans retrospective in July 2004.

B-Unfortunately, although I am starting to build up a number of contacts for mechanical parts I am unable to source any roadster body parts at this stage.

C-If you can send me your postal address I will send you a photocopy of all the material I have accumulated,including the "Chryslers in Competition" Le Mans material.

D-I almost forgot; I have posted my extremely satisfying Steele Rubber ordering experience on this forum above.If you need any further information please contact me.My car's flattened and retempered springs are now sitting happily in their correct insulating blocks.However, as they are cast in rubber they will wear and deteriorate quite quickly,particularly with hard use .I am therefore going to use them as moulds to make another one set at least out of appropriate polyurethane or similar material which should be more durable.By varying the "mixture" it will also be possible to make up "hard" and "soft" sets to see which most suit the ride and handling characteristics of my car with its much lighter than standard body.

I look forward to further communications with you and all other vintage Chrysler enthusiasts.Our cars are only now starting to be recognised for their quality and sporting potential.They are not "poor man's Bentleys" but "Bentley beaters" in their sporting configurations.

Regards,

Doug McKay.

• 12 years later...
Guest Jim Lambert

Hi I have a 1929 Chrysler 75 Fixed head 2 door coup in Australia and I am trying to source the rumble seat handle ad Mechanism

I am also looking for the Gasoline / Petrol meter (have soured the sensor off eBay already) and the other meter I am looking for is the mileage meter but I assume that it comes in one section with the speedo.

Contactable on jim.lambert@anz.engie.com

Having bought rubbers from both Steele and a Australian supplier, I would vote for the Aussie one as those where made of an apparently more durable blue material, and were a lot less expensive. Neither kit did fit well and I spent 20+ hours fitting each to resemble the orginals. Intruged by Doug McKay's idea on making different sets for various hardness and would love to follow that thread. Also curious about the high speed rear end, what ratio is it? My intention is to build both a 1929 Chrysler Special and possibly a LeMans replica if I find the time (have the cores so to speak) after finishing my 2x Series 65 Roadsters. Is Ray Jones still active by the way?

As for the rear deck lock, that could be sourced from either Jay Astheimer or eBay, however be aware there are several that look the same but differ in lenght etc.

CR 1609 09 Eiknes til gulset med 2x gammalbil (14).JPG

• 6 months later...

Ray Jones was ill for some time and has sadly passed away 8 months ago.

I want to buy a Chrysler 72 or 75 roadster, willing to pay the right price for it.

My ultimate dream is one to drive MM and LeM with, and to (slightly) modificate a second for doing Peking to Paris 2019 where I have registred for.

I fell in love with this car after having seen David E.'s beautifull 75 Roadster in the MM. Unfortunately he sold it last year and I didn't knew it. He has now a georgous 72.

But I is not evident to find one.

Does somebody know where I can find one?

I found those 2 but I get no answer on my emails. Probably not interested in selling overseas?

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/chrysler/53473-1929-chrysler-75-roadster-stunning-condition-aaca-winner.html

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/chrysler/107886-1929-chrysler-model-75.html

Or maybe is one of you interested in selling and so give it a very passionate future?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I really hope I can soon join your 7' club ! :)

On 10-10-2016 at 8:59 PM, Narve N said:

Having bought rubbers from both Steele and a Australian supplier, I would vote for the Aussie one as those where made of an apparently more durable blue material, and were a lot less expensive. Neither kit did fit well and I spent 20+ hours fitting each to resemble the orginals. Intruged by Doug McKay's idea on making different sets for various hardness and would love to follow that thread. Also curious about the high speed rear end, what ratio is it? My intention is to build both a 1929 Chrysler Special and possibly a LeMans replica if I find the time (have the cores so to speak) after finishing my 2x Series 65 Roadsters. Is Ray Jones still active by the way?

As for the rear deck lock, that could be sourced from either Jay Astheimer or eBay, however be aware there are several that look the same but differ in lenght etc.

CR 1609 09 Eiknes til gulset med 2x gammalbil (14).JPG

Am I dreaming?? :)

4 hours ago, Patrick De said:

Am I dreaming?? :)

Yes,

you are probably dreaming - those two are Series 65s.

Curiously enough there was no Series 72/75/77 Roadsters on Hemmings currently, but roughly 10 are listed annually I would say. The car below was initially advertised in NW USA and then in 2012 spotted on LeMC and has now been sold (2016) on after being fitted with some nice Winfield carburetors (as mentioned on this forum). As far back as 2005 I have seen other people looking to do what you are planning, refer copy of an old WPC News. Just be persistent and the right car will appear. As for rotten wood as all unrestored ones are equipped with, I quote Ray Jones saying that replacing the wood with metal tubing will both be sturdier and save a lot of weight.

29 S75R xOR 1207 LeMC (2).JPG

29 S75R Peking Paris 0508 East Yorkshire WPC News.jpg

Edited by Narve N (see edit history)

Guest Jim Lambert

Hi 

i have not had any success in find the locking latch for my 1928/29 Chrysler 75 either, i have spoken to Jay and he does not have any and was not sure how to source.

the major problem i have is the from the edge of the rumber seat to the center of the handle is 38 mm which is not standard.

If any one finds one or knows other sources please let em  know.

Jim

Rumber Handle position.JPG