1950 Dodge Gyromatic

I have a 1950 Dodge with the Gyromatic transmission. Engine and transmission are running very well. I have been toying with the idea of restoring the car again but this time I was thinking of building it as a period "Hot Rod". I have already spoken to my machine shop and the engine is promising. I spoke to the transmission shop and he has doesn't know if the gyromatic can be converted to a manual four speed box. I have done some research which tells me that the box actually is a four speed box with a torque converter and a vacuum actuated solonoid shifter. My question is can this box be converted to a manual shift preferably a floor shifter.

• 3 weeks later...

I,too, have a Dodge Gyromatic - It has been sitting for some years but intact. We are trying to sell it - have any idea what it's worth? Did they only made them in 1950? We have no title on it so would have to sell as parts. Thank you - CMahoney

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, you can't make a manual trans from this box. It consists of two

planetary gearsets controlled by a hydraulic system and an electric solenoid.

Also, the unit has no torque converter, only a fluid coupling which allows driving without using the clutch when starting and stopping. The clutch is,

however, required to change between low and high range or shifting into reverse.

It is possible to 'speed shift' from 1st into second by manually shifting from low range to high range and back while declutching. This method is somewhat

faster than waiting for the governor and solenoid to decide to shift for you.

Maybe this will clear up the confusion.