Idle problems

I Have a rough idle and it dies when you let off the accelerator. It also has a strong smell of gas fumes when first started. replaced plugs today with bosch paltinum +4. I replaced a few bad wires and the coil pack with a used one. Once you get it above 1900 rpms it is fine. It has a miss between 700-1800 rpms at a slow start but make a hard start it is fine. any suggestions gonna start with the IAC. and th en soem new wires all the way around and make sure the wires are connected in the back cause of the heat shields.

Thanks,

Derek

Where is the TPS. I know where the MAS is.. Is it hard to replace. it is sending about 12 different codes in diagnostics. So one can only imagine what else there is..

Derek

can you give a description of any of the codes, so many things could be the culprit. It sounds like it could be a bad oxygen sensor. Also you could remove the MAF and spray the elements with brake clean(don't scrape them their fragile), sometimes they get crud on them from the air cleaner and cause incorrect readings making the computer lean or richen the fuel mixture incorrectly. Could be as simple as a bad coolant temp. sensor, or TPS which is located on the throttle body with the IAC and MAF. Can you tell if it is missing on 1 cylinder or several. Take a vacuum hose and cut it into 6 1inch segments, remove the ignition boots from the coil pack(engine off grin.gif) and put a piece of hose over each coil tower and then reinstall the wires. Have someone brake torque the engine until it starts to miss and then using a test light attached to ground, pierce each of the segments of vacuum hose. You should feel an rpm drop with each one, if you come across one with no change that is your dead hole and we can go on to checking for neccesary requirements at that cylinder. All of these are just random checks, it would really be helpful to get them codes. One more thing as a good tip for anyone, never use a K&N or any type of air filter that you have to oil. If over oiled that oil could get on the MAF heaters and cause all kinds of crazy driveability issues.

Thanks, I will try the MAS cleaning. and go ahead and change the oxygen sensor it has 177,00 miles on it.it only misses when it is in gear at around 800-1700 rpms. out of gear the miss isn't that noticable.should i use brake clean or throttle body cleaner.this has really gotten me aggravated.

Derek

First, record (code number and whether current or history) the ECM codes and clear them. Next drive for a day and see if any set again.

To get running right, first all known conditions need to be corrected.

When cleaning the MAF only use brake clean or electrical contact cleaner. They clean and evaporate completely. Throttle body and carb cleaners are petroleum based and will leave a residue on your MAF heaters which can cause the same problem.

Thanks for all the input I am going to pull and clean all the sensors tomorrow. Can the IAC be cleaned also..

Derek

22: TPS voltage high (usually a short - could cause bad/confused idle)

26: Quad Driver (could be glitch)

27-31: Gear switch (probably the transmission switch was disconnected)

41: Hoo Boy, the cam sensor.

Now with the engine off and key out, disconnect the ground wire from the battery. Wait 10 seconds and reconnect. This will clear the codes. Now drive for a day and test again, see what comes back. Those are the ones to be concerned about.

where would the short be in the TPS. I replaced the plug and still no effect only runs good for about a 3 minutes than back to crap again. I have noticedthat all the wires under the hood are exposed and kinda brittle all the wrapping has been removed from the wires and most of the Vacuum tubes that run along the cowel panel or firewall.Could that be the problem. Do you have to remove the whole TBA to replace the TPS? If it comes back for the Cam sensor What next. Any Idea on cost?I thas a strong odor Of fuel at idle and alot of moisture coming from exhaust!!!! Help

Derek