Battery

cracker

I am quite certain that a 13 year old car does not have the original battery in the tray. I bought my battery for my 1990 coupe at K-Mart (I do not shop at WalMart because they are driving so many small business's OUT of business)and the cost was around 50 bucks. May I suggest you do the same unless there is something historically significant fact about your car you failed to mention. Good Luck!

Hi,

I did some research on this a few years ago. All Reattas came with Delco Duro Power 78A-72 which had 730 cold cranking amps and load tested at 360 AMPS. The ones available now are Delco Professional 78-6YR with 675 Cold Cranking AMPs and Load test of 330 AMPS. To equal and surpass the Cold Cranking Amps and Load Test Amps of the original 78A-72 (which are not available anywhere - I checked all over the country), you need to go to the 78-7YR Delco with 770 CCA and 380 Load test amps. That's the only one I will buy for replacements. Shop around and compair at different places to get best price. If you want it to look original make sure it has side mount post and not top mount posts. Some have both. I always choose the side mount batteries only. K-Mart, Goodyear and Large Auto Centers want to sell you a Delco replacemnt with DT in the model number. The DT stands for dual terminal and comes with top mount and side mount terminals. This does not fit the style for our Reattas. The Delco Maintenance Free 78-7YR model is the closest you will find to the original Delco Duro Power 78A-72. Good Luck. You should expect to pay around $80-$85 for one.

Chuck Parry

89 Coupe Red/Grey

91 Coupe (Red/Saddle)

91 Convert (Red/Saddle)

I currently have a "34UG" battery in my 88. Is from K-Mart as I have a stack of unexpiring $5 off coupons and generally buy them on sale. These are dual terminal since I may swap between cars and have a two year free replacement. They generally last about 42 months.

If Florida, there is not a lot of need for "cold cranking amps" and use the same battery for my 400 cid 10:1 cr Judge as for the 2.8 Fiero and everything in between.

Since a well tuned 3800 will just about always start on the first crank and if there is no excess drain they will stay up for a month or more, I have never needed anything larger. I do have cut offs for those cars not driven often.