"Scrape" Replica, 100k. The fun begins!

and as discussed just the other day on another thread, they ALMOST got it. Retro rod with off the shelve a/c vents, shortcuts on the console and shifter, autozone headlight switch, bone stock cheapest a/c controls offered, mount the master cylinder and hack a hole in the inner fender to accomodate, firewall left with dimples and punch marks (I assume it's done since it's painted and the graphics have been applied),Lincoln hood ornament.

Gives streetrodders a bad name. If you are going to go this far, complete the journey. Proves one thing, the best parts of this car are the original Zephyr parts of the car. I apologize for streetrodders and for Floiduh. confused.gif

What'd' I say, David. But I disagree with you. They didn't "almost" get it right. This car doesn't belong in a garage, It belongs in a vomitorium. Check out the bad, really bad headliner sewing.

Phil, how do you feel about the guy,I think down in Forida who's cutting up a beautiful '38 or '39 Zephyr convertible for a Retro Rad Rod? What's next? How about Edsel's personal '39 Continental "Rad" rod monster truck! Yeah, that's it.

Guest imported_V12Bill

OK so this one is a kit car. $400,000 for a 38 coupe, $l50,000 for a kit car. There are a lot of people out there who have dollar signs in their eyes and none in the wallet. For each successfully completed car, there will be 50 that never get beyond the cutting torch, and maybe 5 that are cobbled to completion and will see the crusher in a short time.I don't know which is worse the greed of making big bucks or the crazy ideas of trying to improve the wheel. mad.gif Most street rodders that I know start with a complete straight car to reduce the end cost and a good car is lost forever. frown.gif I'm going to look at a 46 LC coupe this afternoon that is complete and original. The owner says he is either going to sell or streetrod it.

Bill

it.

Bill

Keith,

I bid on that car (1939 Zephyr Convertible) when it was on ebay last year. The car LOOKED really nice but was a grossly incorrect "frame-off, factory correct restoration". It had an appraisal of $50k, done by a "professional" appraiser who knew absolutely NOTHING about Lincoln Zephyrs, and it didn't meet the reserve (what a surprise!). It would appear to have had a factory Columbia in it (speedometer gearbox on the firewall), but that wasn't mentioned in either the ebay listing or the "appraisal".

Sorry to see it end up as a street rod since there are probably less than two dozen left in the world, but "them's the breaks"! The up-side is that somebody will probably get a bunch of nice Zephyr parts, perhaps including a Columbia overdrive. (I want the rear seat for MY '39 Zephyr convertible).

Hey Phil -

Yeah, having received alot of good parts, including a Columbia, from a Zephyr being converted, I have to be careful not to complain *too* much cool.gif

And sorry about getting the cylinder count wrong on the Plymouth -- I was too busy admiring the juice brakes that had been on those cars *years* before our beloved Lincolns.

Keith, the headliner was just tooooo obvious. I gave them benefit of my doubts that they said the car wasn't completed so they just couldn't leave that headliner that way could they?

The cross tubed frame, exposed wiring, .....

I did like the headlights. grin.gif

By the way, that was in South Florida, or Northern P.R. / Cuba. That would make one tend to think of good headliners and upholstry??

confused.gif

Tin X

In my humble opinion the hobby in its many forms is founded in saving tin from extinction, not producing brand new cars made of plastic. Anyone can go to a Chevy showroom for that. Its like some of the "classic" cruise ins and parking lot shows. New Corvettes, PT Cruisers, late model cars with suspension and graphics. Nothing classic there. grin.gif