Photo ID car 2

The attachment is my mother's family first car. It has a 1914 license plate on it. Local opinion is that its a 1912 Maxwell. Any comments on the year, make and model of this car? What was usually carried in the tool box on the running board? The latern just below the wheel..was this electric? What was the purpose of putting it in that location? Did the folded cover in the back of the people roll up to cover all the way to the windshield? Thanks.

The fabric in the back looks like a top boot and only covered the top when it was down.

What was carried in the tool box? Tools. Mostly it depended on what the owner felt was needed beside possibly the jack and other stuff like wrenches supplied with the car. Maybe a grease gun and tire pump. Wou can't imagine what i keep stuffed in the tool box of my 1914 Buick.

It looks like a large series Maxwell and 1912 seems like a good date. gas lights, not electric. I can't really see the lantern well enough to identify it.

hvs

Hello, The car is definately an Overland. If you look close enough you can see the Overland script on the lower front corner of the top hood panel. This is the dead give-away. It isn't the 40HP model however. The running boards are wrong for that model. I could be either 1912 or '13. 1913 was the last year for gas light availability (Electric start and lighting was an option for the first time that year and used the "USL" system.) I believe though that it is a 1912 due to the rims. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. I had to really cut down the size and resolution of the original images to get the front and side views in the 100KB limit. Would it be useful to replace the current image with just the side or front at a larger size and better resolution?

Guest stude8

You could post your better res (Larger files) on the "Collectable Automobile Photo Post" (upper left hand menu column)then post a message here with the link they assign the image and everyone could get a better view. Stude8

Have tried several times to post the larger resolution/ size photo to no avail. It is a 675KB file and the upload seems to run for a while then get a "page not found" error. From instructions, a file size up to 1000 KB is acceptable.

I have placed the side and front views of the car on:

http://home.earthlink.net/~joec925

If you are interested go to that location and click on either 191200 car BW.tif (side view) or 191400 joe and car.tif (front view). You will have to download the file to see it (FTP site). Each file is about 3MB in size. Will leave on that site about a week or two. Thanks for any futher help you can provide.