identifying old engine? postwar Chrysler 6 cyl L head engine

I have an engine with the following numbers and not sure what it is. A few pictures if anyone needs them. It's not original to my 30 Chrys(66) car. Can anyone help? (all numbers on engine)

LPo*39209* -- (block stamped #)

1484929-3 -- (block casting #)

58 -- (block casting #)

1676337-2 -- (cyl head casting #)

11-25 -- (cyl head casting #)

It has a trans with these numbers. (maybe this will help indentifying the engine)

579298-6 -- (bell housing # right side)

10-23-50 -- (bell housing # right side)

s81 -- (bell housing #)

c 39701 -- (Case # side)

c 39896 -- (Case # top)

Thanks

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Tim-

The engine in the picture is a postwar Chrysler 6 cylinder L head engine.

It could be for a Dodge, Desoto, Plymouth or small Chrysler. All the blocks

on these cars were pretty near identical with the only difference being

slight changes in bore and stroke. By the looks of the carburetor it is

probably a very recent ( 1950's ) Chrysler product. If you can get a hold

of a "Hollander" interchange manual you should be able to quickly identify

make, model, and year, as there is a lot of published information on postwar

car parts. Good luck!

Bill

(I can send a picture if that helps)

Tim:

The numbers that will help us are on the driver's side of the engine on a boss near the upper front. Look on the upper corner of the block on the driver's side kind of behind the water pump. Look for a number starting with C, S, D, or P. The first three characters will tell us the year and size of the engine. For exmple, my 1950 DeSoto would say S-14.

If you can e-mail me a photo of the driver's side of the engine-- especially a photo showing the area around the distributor-- and a photo of the whole assembly showing the bell housing and all, I can probably tell you quite a bit about it.

jrobinson@mscomm.com

JON

• 5 years later...

Hello,

I accrued some address thru an old add in Antique Automobile club forum, dated 4/16/2005 where someone had a '36 dodge engine for sale.

My dilemma is that I have been attempting to register a 1936 dodge pickup, because we cannot find the original title. Vehicle has been in the family forever. Our NM-DMV requires a VIN number from the chassis, cab or engine none for which I can locate before they will issue and NM VIN. The engine is original so if I new where to look maybe this would be suffice for the DMV. I would be very great full if anyone would have some knowledge and are willing to share it with me as to where on the vehicle these numbers might be located. The tag on the firewall is missing.

Thank you, in advance for any help you may provide,

Have a Happy Holiday,

Phillip

email: roybalpl@msn.com

Hello,

I accrued some address thru an old add in Antique Automobile club forum, dated 4/16/2005 where someone had a '36 dodge engine for sale.

My dilemma is that I have been attempting to register a 1936 dodge pickup, because we cannot find the original title. Vehicle has been in the family forever. Our NM-DMV requires a VIN number from the chassis, cab or engine none for which I can locate before they will issue and NM VIN. The engine is original so if I new where to look maybe this would be suffice for the DMV. I would be very great full if anyone would have some knowledge and are willing to share it with me as to where on the vehicle these numbers might be located. The tag on the firewall is missing.

Thank you, in advance for any help you may provide,

Have a Happy Holiday,

Phillip

email: roybalpl@msn.com

Not to hijack this thread, but to help out "plr"...here is a 1936 Dodge Brothers pickup and you can see part of the engine number peeking out just in front of the oil filler cap and just below the cylinder head.

post-37352-143138149975_thumb.jpg

Thank you, I have cleaned the raised pad on the engine block but the letter or numbers are not distinguishable. I will have to go with what I have and attempt to get the state police issue a NM VIN.

Thanks Again,

It isn't that hard to get a title in NM. I think that when your truck was new, NM didn't issue titles. The engine number was often used. Go with that.

I have an engine with the following numbers and not sure what it is. A few pictures if anyone needs them. It's not original to my 30 Chrys(66) car. Can anyone help? (all numbers on engine)

1484929-3 -- (block casting #)

58 -- (block casting #)

1676337-2 -- (cyl head casting #)

11-25 -- (cyl head casting #)

It has a trans with these numbers. (maybe this will help indentifying the engine)

579298-6 -- (bell housing # right side)

10-23-50 -- (bell housing # right side)

s81 -- (bell housing #)

c 39701 -- (Case # side)

c 39896 -- (Case # top)

Thanks

Tim

If that number is stamped into the block, and not cast numbers which are raised, the engine is probably from a 1958 (L) Plymouth (P).

The bell housing is probably from a very late 1950 model or 1951 as the casting date is October 23, 1950. The head was cast November 25, 19--. If you can figure out the last two digits you will have the year.

If you want the VIN for your vehicle, the number should be stamped onto the left side of the chassis frame just above rear front spring hanger for the half ton models. On other models it is stamped onto the frame back of left front spring schackle. The numbers are not easily seen as the frame is made of thicker steel than the body`s sheet metal.

Bill

Vancouver, BC