Need 37 Packard Vehicle ID Number Info

pint4

I own a 1937 Packard Model 120 Convertible Coupe. The firewall plate says it is a 1099-I256. What does the I256 mean? I also have a question about the large raised letters that are formed in the firewall near the top. They actually protrude from the firewall. The numbers are 30203I. What does this mean? Where do I find the code for the paint color?

Thanks for your assistance?

Bob

Guest imported_buggboy

Hi Bob:

The I is actually a one. 1099 is the model number, and 1256 is the sequential number within that model range. The embossed number is the "theftproof number". I am told that at one time, there were records that correlated that number to the VIN of a car. Those records were probably burned when East Grand Ave shut down in 57 though.

Look on the Packard Club website, I think they have paint codes there. www.packardclub.org

Thanks for information regarding the number 1256 that follows the model number 1099. Is there another plate that has the paint code? I am trying to find out if the color of my car is original or has been repainted with another color sometime during its history. Can anyone help me? Thanks. Bob

Hi, You won't find a paint code on a 37 Packard. The best you can do is to look carefully for signs of repainting and look in places that might have been covered up when a repaint was done, such as under sill plates, in door jambs and on your conv, where the top goes down or in the rumble seat area, or under some interior or exterior trim or parts like headlight buckets that might not have been removed. There really weren't many colors offered in 1937. You will find that all the clubs and 99% of collectors won't complain about your color if you choose one that is in keeping with the ones offered in 37. If you don't know what color the car was, how will anyone else? There are several Packard colors in 37 that look really nice on a 37 120 conv. There is a car in Ohio that was restored to match Indian Marroon that looks awesome. I can't recall the owners name, but can look for it if it helps you. There are three blues, two marroons, Packard Ivory, a couple each of greens and greys too that I can think of besides black of course. Iridium grey is a very nice color, especially on an open car. I have some chips, and some photos of 37s - you can email me at packard12s@hotmail.com Good Luck!