Carb Rebuilding

55PACKARD

I guess im going to be rebuilding my carb that i have i cant seem to find a core to trade in for a re-built one i really wanted to try the one from Kanter's while keeping my orginal one so when i got the chance i could re-build me.Plus i dont think they would take mine on a trade anyway im missing the choke parts since i removed them when i bought the car...I knida lost some of the small parts to put it back together..Anyone know were i could find a core?????

Some of the choke parts should be easy to find...I would think they would be Rochester specific rather than Packard specific. I'm sure there may be some differences. Try some of the swap meets....for mid 50's Rochester carbs...or Ebay.

Tim

MBL

Rochester 4 GC's come in many variations. However, most choke parts from a mid 50's unit off a GM car are interchangeable with the Rochester carbs supplied to Packard. Some of the older parts stores in your area may even still have the choke Helical Springs on the shelf. There is also e-bay and some of the parts vendors out there like Max Merritt or Joel Ray at Patrician Industries. He logs on to e-bay and this forum as Packards1.

One thing to stay away from in a carburator rebuild is Neoprene points on the Float Needles. The modern gasoline with MBTE in it attacks the neoprene and turns it gummy, actually gluing the needles to the seats. The floats will not drop and the car will act like it ran out of gas. I know I had it happen to me on my '55 with a rebuild kit from Kanter's. It drove me crazy in trying to figure out what was wrong. I finally took apart my recently rebuilt carburator at the time, that was done by a guy who knows carburators and didn't have a clue as to what was wrong. I found out. When I took out one of the neoprene pointed needles, it stuck to my finger and was actually hanging from it. I replaced them both with solid brass needles and seats from another 4GC that were in good shape given to me by a friend and the car has been fine ever since.

Bob

• 11 months later...

Speaking of MTBE additives, you'll also want to replace all of the rubber fuel hoses going from your tank-to-metal-lines, & connections to carb with fuel injection hose (also known as R9, but most parts counter guys don't know that term for it) for the same reasons. It's more expensive, but you don't need all that much of it, and after all you don't want to see your car go up in flames over this. I have had an experience with 1 year old regular fuel hose being 'holed' by that additive, & was actually acting like a sprinkler system under the hood of our '87 Jeep. That got changed quickly. You can usually get the fuel injection hose at a Napa store or sometimes a dealership, but not all parts stores carry it. Be sure to ask for it, & if you get a dumb look & my four favorite parts-idiot words 'we ain't got it', ask them to order you some.