need .010 main bearings and cam bearings for '56

Guest dave327

Guest Randy Berger

Dave, any chance you could get crank welded and turned back to standard? It is a cast crank, not a forged one but maybe a good shop could do that. I think standard bearings are easier to find.

YFAM, Randy Berger

Guest dave327

Yes that's the truth on the standard bearings, I seem to have a whole drawer full from the 374's and 352's I have disassembled in the last couple of years. I had a good V8 crank that I asked a guy to polish for me when I had my crank for my 56 Clipper turned .020 last week but he 'decided' that it wouldn't be in specs after the polish and went ahead and turned it .010 while he had it without checking with me AND charged me for the work! Too bad for me but it reminded me to always get stuff in writing no matter what. So now I have a spare crank with standard rods and .010 mains. I have enough parts to build another 352 but now I need some .010 bearings for it too (along with the cam bearings).

I had checked around and determined that there was no dollar advantage between having a crank welded and cut back to standard and having it turned and buying a set of inserts from Terrill Machine in Texas (about 20 less than Kanter and about 35 less than Egge) but it definitely would work if that was the only option. I understand that a lot of care must be used if there are more than one journal that will be welded due to the warpage factor.

Dave, your email is intermittent.....maybe it has to do with attachments, but FYI I did bring home those standard rod bearings with less than 20 miles on them when we went to .010 for the Custom rebuild. Of course, the mains were totally shot. Don't forget Shelbyville Ag Center Studebaker/orphan cars including Packards meet March 13. Same place as every year.

Guest imported_PackardV8

Dave327: i had an email i sent (as reply) bounced back at me too. Did u get the one i sent titled 'Lower Bushings" ?

Guest dave327

Shelbyville sounds like a good idea. Maybe we can take a contingent of Alabama/Tennessee folks?

I definitely want the std new rod bearings for my Clipper.

Dave