Plug/Wire ?

55PACKARD

Do they make the plugs we use in resistor type if so what part number are they...Also do they make modern type wires too? I just put a radio in and it has alot of interferance i gues from the non resistor type plug plus the soild core wire...Any help would be great.

Also how does the light over the radio work whats it hooked up to the door switch i found the bulb loose one day it worked fine the today working on the car maybe i hir something it shorted out well the bulb was burnt out anyway put in a new bulb nothing still dont work any ideas would be great thanks so much "G"...

Guest imported_PackardV8

The resistor type plug wires should be all that u need on the ignition side. i wouldnt bother with the resistor plugs. ALSO, u might need a capacitor on the generator (it looks like a condenser). Insult the Packard manual for details. The manual should have a section on installing radio and address the capacitor located there.

Guest imported_PackardV8

go the 55-56 X-ref thread in this Packard Forum. If i remeber right there is a post about plug wires. OR, go to Criags Panter web site. I think he has a cross-ref into Pontiac plug wires. NOTE, that just about any set of plug wires will work as long as they are LONG enuf. It is EZ to shorted plug wires if needed.

Guest imported_PackardV8

they probably do make resistor plugs but i don't know the number. Would NOT use resistor plugs. MIght need them with HEI.

Guest imported_PackardV8

when crossing the plugs into resistor type i would lean toward the AC Delco plugs. The AC plugs have a very stable and consistant (at least historically) numbering scheme. All other plug manufactureres change their numbering about as often as i change my shorts and there-fore can not be trusted. The 56 uses an AC Delco 45XL i beleive it is so for the 56 it would be an R45XL. BUT, the i'm not sure what the 55's use since they used a different thread length from the 56.