Looking for insurance

super55

Does anyone have suggestions on where to get low cost insurance. I have a 55 Super that is in excellant mechanical shape, but I am doing the body work myself as I have time. I would like to have some fun with it in the meantime, but cannot see paying $400. - $500 a year for insurance to drive a couple hundred miles or so. The major companies that I have tried for antique insurance will not insure unless the car is almost perfect. Any help will be appreciated!

Seems like there are some policies through the National Street Rod Association that have provisions for the type of activity you are doing. Sorry for the "street rod" mention, but being an NSRA member to get their insurance benefits, if they are what I understand they used to be several years ago, could be a viable alternative.

As you have a low use vehicle, there might be some mileage-based policies available instead of just "antique" vehicle or "stated value" policies for antique vehicles. Seems like that is one of the ways that Progressive Insurance Company advertises their low base rates as their rates are based on where the car is driven and how much (GPS based information?)? You might check out their website for more information.

Of course, if you get a pretty basic normal policy, you would not have to worry about many things (like the secure garage parking spot) that some of the specialty insurers might require for coverage and paying the claim. Or a "stated value" policy where you pay rates based on what the current value of the vehicle is. I heard one guy mention a policy for his collector-type car that only covered the car for driving between midnight Thursday to midnight Monday.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

A few years back I switched from J.C. Taylor to Hagerty because I could get more coverage for less money. Currently I have 3 cars insured by Hagerty and the annual cost is under $250 for all three. Last year I tried to insure my 65 Riviera with Hagerty and they had raised the minimum amount you could ensure a car for to $5000. My Riviera is a work in progress and I don't feel that it is worth that amount yet but its getting there. However there are a number of good classic insurance companies out there and check them out. The key words to look for is "Agreed upon Value" and NOT Stated Value.

Hi there super55. Skydog1 here . I have a 65 Skylark, I had it insured with AAA not such a great deal $365 a year for just pl&pd.I changed to Hagerty in October . Got full coverage with road service for $184.00 a year. They came out took pictures, looked the car over. It does have a few dents and some rust. The agent said they would insure it with a value of $4500.00. Much better deal. Good luck. BTW I did tell the agent the body repair would be done sometime in the future.

I've had Hagerty insure all mine for several years, no claims, though, but folks I know who have had claims have been very pleased with their service. I am very pleased with their coverage of my '56, '68s, '70 GSX and even the '86 GN, they also insured my '86 Vette while I owned it cause of the low miles and the fact I had other older cars. I am one of few that they have insured with a '86 GN, only because of the older cars, and the low mileage on the GN, less than 7K. I would recommend in a minute.

Guest my3buicks

I had a claim with Hagerty about 3 years ago with my 67 and then last year when I had my brand new 2 week old top sliced on my 69 Electra. Both time they handled the claims quickly with just the repairs shop estimate and pictures sent to them. They did a rush claim on the Convertible top as I had to have it replaced last minute before Fint last summer. They are # 1 in my book.