Sedan specifications

Hello again!

This interest of mine in the Sedans has me curious about the specifications and differences,similarities between the coupes and the sedans of the 37-39 era. I can find very little info. on these cars. One site listed the wheelbase as the same at 122" and 125"for the 38,39 cars. Could anyone refer me to where ie. site, book or tell me what the differences are. As much as I like the coupes the streamlined body of the sedan is very appealing as well. Especially to a long time 356 Porsche owner.

Thanks again for listening!

Phil Wimbish

Annapolis Md

Hi Phil, as far as I know, all of the basic chassis for all of the model H lincolns were the same for all body styles except the Lincoln Customs, which were a lot longer, I believe the WB was 136" or so, don't quote me on that, but all of the others were 125" including the Continental, except the '36 and '37's, which were the 122"s, but in my year of '41, all the coupes and sedans took the same fenders front end and hoods, and were very straight forward. Funny you mentioned Porsche, some "expert" was telling my son recently, that the LZ was copied from the prototype VW in the '30's, would imagine that would of been disturbing to John Tajarda, be well, Rolf

Thanks for the info. Rolf! A couple of things. Are you telling me the front ends ie. hood fenders grill are different on the Coupes and Sedans, they look the same to me?? Also, strange you mentioned the VW influence, that was my first thought when studying the rear view of the 37 sedan it really is very VW like. VW's are what first got me into Porsches, there must be subliminal influence going on in my mind!

Looking at my body manual for '36-'37, the coupes and sedans shared pretty much everything except the obvious pieces -- doors and door glass; rear glass, decklid, and back body pieces. From the front clip forward they were the same. All front sheet metal, skirts, fender skirts, and running boards were identical.

There's a very nice '37 sedan for auction right now on Ebay; if you like both styles equally well, by all means go for a sedan -- you can get a lot more car for your money.