Original Engine Colors? Engine cooling system flush?

Guest PWN

Guest imported_PWN

Hello all,

1922 "Marvelous" motor, Royal Dispatch.

Currently it is a light green. I have the water pump ready for re-installation!

Anyone have any experience with cleaning out the cooling system?

Hope everyone is well.

Peter

Hi Peter,

You are correct the original color for the motor is light green. Threre was a thread a week or so ago about flushing the cooling system. Step one remove the radiator and take it to a good radiator shop that can handle our old radiators. Have them remove the upper and lower tanks to really flush out the unit. Mine is at a shop being rebuilt right now. If you don't have a shop near you, send it here. The shop I use has a lot of experience working on old radiators.

After flushing install a filter (Gano type) to catch the gunk before it gets back in the radiator.

How easy was the water pump rebuild? I hope to be doing mine in the near future.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I had the radior cleaned and flushed (by a great shop that knows about 0 pressure systems). I then installed a Gano filter (your earlier suggestion??). The radiator does not leak and appears to flow well.

The water pump was not making the water flow so I took it apart. I have not found anything really the matter with the water pump, impellor is in good shape, seals are good, a little rust (roughedned inner pump walls) may have inhibited the flow a litte. Was not that hard to take off or apart - be VERY careful when seperating the filter as the flanges (where the bolts are attached) are thin and are VERY weak in the areas that are not supported by additional metal (near the exit and entry holes). I also had to have a machine shop remove the end attachments.

I have also taken the top of the engine water jacket off and can see down into the cooling area. Looks crudded up a bit and the flow was DEFINATELY restricted; however, nothing apears to get in the way of SOME flow?????

All of this in anticipation of finding out which bearing is making the loud knocking/clunking sound. I plan on idleing at a low speed (just when clunk is audible) and using the sound method to identify the likely bearing with the noise.

The car only had 9,000 original miles - I do not want to tear it all apart if I really do not have to.

How are your new projects going?

Peter