230 cu in "L" head ?

I have a 1952 Dodge Coronet which was manufactured in Canada. The manual says that I should have a 3.25 inch bore. I have measured the bore at 3.5 inches. Were the Canadian Built Dodges bored out, as I know was the case for early Pontiacs, or is this motor NOT a 230 cu. in. but perhaps a 251 cu. in. or a 265 cu. in? I have never heard of these last 2, but my complete gasket set claims to be good for all 3 motors. Thanks for any help you can offer. Larry Taylor

Thanks. It seems I have a 251. The head is about 25.5 inches long. The original bore could have been 3.375 and, if bored out 0.060, would account for my 3.497 measurement. The stroke is 4.5 in. which is also unique to the 251.

• 1 year later...
Guest brian

Larry:

Your Canadian Dodge Coronet has the 25" engine with a 3.375 stock bore. All Canadian Dodges and Plymouths from 1937 (I think) used the big block with 3.375" bore until the end of the L-heads. All DeSoto and Chrysler used same block with 3.4375 bore. I don't know the stroke for the Coronet offhand, but I think displacement should be about the same as the US model with 3.25 bore.

Guest imported_Bill-W

The Canadian 1952 Dodge Coronet used the larger flathead six with a 3.375" bore and 4.25" stroke, for 228 cid. There is a possiblilty the engine has been replaced, not all that uncommon as the engine was used in Chrysler Corp cars from 1935 through 1959. The engine number should be stamped on the left side of block near the fan.

Chrysler of Canada opened its engine plant in 1938 and built engines using the larger block. Thus Canadian Plymouth and Dodge cars used the same block as the DeSoto and Dodge. The DeSoto/Chrysler 251 unit was used by Plymouth and Dodge from 1955 through 1959.

Bill

Vancouver, BC