Wing window removal

DSpringer

I'm pulling the window trim from my '41 sedan for woodgraining and can't figure out how to remove the wing windows so I can pull the front door window trim. The wing window is somehow engaged in the crank mechanism and I'm afraid to force it. Any experience out there with this one?

Dave

Hey Dave and Diz, just thinking about this problem, and my memory fails, alas, entirely too frequently these days, but a quick search in to the photo archives reveals that the wing window handle is lower than the garnish molding, and would have to be disconnected from the wing assy before removal, I can't recall how the regulator is attached to the window, but it would probally require removing the door upholstery, removing the fasteners for the regulator, then removing the reg from the vent, all that stuff was gone in my latest '41, and the memory fails again, see the pic of where the regulator is located, good luck, Rolf

Springer, Took apart my coupe windows to do the same. Here's what your looking at. I found it easier if the window frame comes out first, than the vent window from the frame. Unscrew all the screws holding the frame, unscrew the door lock push-down, take off the vent window crank handle and eschion (spelling?). Two screws hold the window crank handle base to the window crank regulator ( a forked unit). Now the whole frame is loose and should be able to be pulled straight up. Maybe a little wiggeling. The vent window shaft will now be exposed and you should be able to figure it out from here. A screw holds the vent window shaft to its fork, rivets hold of the rubber to the frame. With the frame off you now can take off the two door pull chrome bases. The window regulator is riveted to the frame so you may have to leave them on when you wood grain.

A hint: If your window gears in the crank mechanism are chewed up now is the time to change them. About $35.00 each. OR here is what cheap me did. The gears are the same for both sides, of the car and the chewed up threads are most likely at the front of the gear where it got the most wear. If you swap gears with the other door you put the bad threads on the back side of the travel ( vent window all the way open). Now the vent window now will be nice and tight again. Good luck

Keith and Rolf - Thanks for the assist. This was another one of those "gumption traps" that with your help I managed to overcome. For others facing the same thing here's what I would add: The two window cranks are retained by pins that are accessed by pushing in the chrome eschutcheons. The door opener pushbutton must also be removed by rotating the metal ring counter clockwise. If it doesn't want to rotate the three tabs that secure it to the door can be reached by pushing in the button and using a small drift and a little persuasion to move them along in the right direction. Then (after removing 4 screws securing the window trim and 3 screws securing the door panel) the door panel clips can be pryed out of their holes (side and bottom). There is a metal tab secured to the arm rest that engages in a slot in the door, so the door panel must be slid downward to disengage the tab. Next, remove two screws holding the vent window crank to the door. It has a slotted tube that fits over a tee shaft connected to the gearing. Then the window trim with wing window can be removed.

Thanks again for the help!

Dave