correct hubcaps and rings

48LCCOUPE

O.K., I've seen and heard alot of talk about hubcaps and beauty rings. Since my 48 LC came with 5 hubcaps (including the ever popular high logo script for the spare) I assumed I'm in fat city. I look at my stack of beauty rings and have two types, smooth and three grooves. I have heard the 48 had script hubcaps on the front, and no script on the rear. Is this correct? and what type and finish script? also what are the correct beauty rings?

Geeeeeeeeez this guy is long winded to ask a simple (?) question.

grin.gif

Can't help you on the rings, my '46 came with the rib style but some things changed in early '47. The hub caps are as you describe; front caps had gold "Lincoln" script while the back ones were plain. The "Lincoln" script on the front caps was very similar to the script on the side of the hoods of the '47-'48 regular Lincoln. Now all you need is a good answer about those beauty rings.

Hi Dave, not absolutely certain of authenticity, but these are the trim rings, see pic, that were on the '48 LC coupe we are trying to sell, have pictures of it's hubcaps too if you need them, but they are as you described, Rolf

Pic is only 40,000 bytes, but they are saying it is too big, will try to send it to you off site, R

Guest imported_V12Bill

David, Trim rings should have 3 rings with a semi circle notch for the valve stem. The 46 has a hole in the trim ring for the valve stem, completely surrounded by metal. This was changed at the end of the 46 run because the trim ring would shift on braking and bend the stem over and possibly cause a valve stem leak. The scripted hubcaps as used on the front only, originally came on all four wheels when the change occured in April l947. The bean counters saw the scriipted hubcaps on the rear and said it wasn't necessary because the skirts covered 90% of the jhubcap. Technichly scripted hubcaps are correct on all four wheels only if your car was made in the first few weeks of Apr l947.

Bill