What's the lock in the ignition switch for?

V.Milke

My 41 Continental had an aftermarket switch adapted. Years ago I bought a correct one from Bernie Holland and now that I want to install it, and made new key for it, I find that it has a locking mechanism for some thing. When you open the key and pull the switch, a lever in the back moves.

What is this lever supposed to lock? I looked under my car's dash and see where the switch goes, but I cannot find anything that would "receive" the movement of the lever.

Thanks for any help

victor.

Hi Victor, if I understand your question correctly, I think on the Continental, the key goes into a sort of button on the dash, and when unlocked you pull the button out, and I can not find it in my trusty parts book, but the pawl or lever you speak of keeps the button from moving when it is locked, but my memory isn't that clear, I sold my Connie over 50 years ago, and don't remember ever working on the ignition switch, pretty sure that is all it does, blocks the switch so it won't pull out. Rolf

I hope I've got the question right. The paw you speak of fits into a unit that keeps the steering wheel from moving left or right, locking the wheels. Sort of a anti thieft device. When you first place the key into the lock the wheel is locked, after you turn the key 180 the steering wheel unlocks, then if you would like to ignite the engine, you can pull out the chrome ignition knob making that posible. As you turn off the engine and rotate the key to take it out, it locks the steering again.

Its kinda tricky to fit that paw into the catch on the column. Good luck.

Thanks Rolf and Keith:

By analizing the parts in the car, yes, it is a steering wheel lock. The paw or metal tab should push something (which my car is missing) like a small rod with a spring (or something to help it get out of the way when unlocked) which is already on the steering column and which would lock the wheel.

Except for this part, I already installed the switch and it works fine (minus the locking), which I hope to repair soon also.

Thanks again

victor.

I just pulled my dash and the part you refer to is exposed for all the world to see. Look at the cast part that secures the steering column to the underside of the dashboard. This extends upward and centered inside this part should be a pin about 3/8" in diameter. The top end of the pin has a notch half-way through it that engages into the ignition switch assembly. When you rotate the key it moves a lever that engages in the notch and moves the pin up and down. I could send photos if it would help.

Dave