Throttle return spring. How and where?

V.Milke

I know this sounds like a dumb question but I really have no idea as to where it went originally...

Can somebody tell me how the throttle return springs looks like and from where to where is it supposed to go?

Currently my throttle pedal sits very close to the floor and I "adapted" a spring as I cannot locate where the original is supposed to go. I found a piece of something that may be it, but if it is, it does not look like a regular coiled spring that when pulled it returns, but more like a spring that when turned, returns.

Any help? Thanks

Victor.

Hi Victor, the return spring is a strange one, on '38-'48, it works on the lower part of the gas pedal assembly, it's number is 86H9817, and is just a simple coiled spring, length not specified, never recall getting into one, and when needed, I just hooked a hardware spring from the carb to an intake manifold bolt, MICKEY MOUSE style, good luck, Rolf

I was just looking at mine the other day. The spring goes between the lower lever of the gas pedal to a bracket on the upper floor board. All of this is on the bottom side of the toe board which is covered by sheet metal panel. You must remove this panel to get at it. There are sheet metal screws along the top edge, a couple on the side(frame) and 3 more across the back on the cross member that suppots the transmission mount. The spring is as Rolf states and is in "tension" when installed. It's a fairly hefty one. Hope this helps.