Keys on a 1941 Zephyr or Continental

V.Milke

I just got a set of original key blanks for my 1941 Continental. Both fit all of the locks, but I need to know which one is for what.

I'm lousy at descriptions, but I think whoever has seen them will understand if I say one of them has angled lines and only one curve on top, while the other one is made entirely of curves, and sort of looks like a flower petal.

Can somebody tell me which one is supposed to open what locks? I'd like to cut them correctly for what they were meant to open.

Thanks,

Victor

Guest imported_V12Bill

Victor, The square looking key is for the ignition and doors, the rounder looking key is for the glove box and trunk. Check the numbers on the lock cylinders and door and ignition should be the same and glove box and trunk locks should be the same barring any replacement.

Bill

Thanks Bill and Peecher. Locksmith just left. He already cut the door key and he took the glove box lock to make key, and the ignition switch (I got the switch from another car) to make it's combination the same as the door key he just made. He says it looks tough to dismantle, so he took it with him to his shop.

Victor.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Victor, Although the trunk and glove box take the same key, the locks are different. The trunk lock like the door and ignition lock has five tumblers. The glove box lock only has three tumblers. If the key is made from the glove box lock it will be blank where the two additional tumblers are needed for the trunk lock. I guess the glove box lock has only three tumblers because of a cramped space in the glove box area. The old timers who make keys have a book that shows the cut of the key by the code given on the lock. This avoids disassembly of the lock cylinders and error in reassemble.

Bill

Bill

Even tho the cylinder may have fewer tumblers, there are numbers on the cylinder that will make the key useable for the trunk. I had a real problem trying to remove the truck lock as the latch was jammed. The locksmith used the glove box cylinder and the numbers on it to make the key. It worked for me as the key did indeed unlock the trunk. You might let the locksmith know about this situation. He may have to re-work the glove box key on the spot.

Dee

Bill and peecher:

The car's key are working as they should now. Thanks for all the advise.

In Mexico there is not much of a car culture, professional shops, etc, so I don't believe a catalog with numbers is something any locksmith would have. Luckily, the guy did a good job. He took the glovebox cilinder off and made the key, and then adjust (or make the additional cuts) for it to work on the trunk.

Thanks again

victor.