1954 VIN ??

I just got my Christmas present; a 1954 New Yorker Deluxe and was wondering how to decode the VIN. It's 7269351 and I was hoping the paint code is located in the VIN (as the color I have now is not the original color). Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

Im not sure if the VIN number is anything other than a VIN. I have a 1950 Imperial and I sent to Chrysler for the build sheet. That gave me the info on the interior colors, outside colors, and what dealer the vehicle was shiped to. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my Christmas present; a 1954 New Yorker Deluxe and was wondering how to decode the VIN. It's 7269351 and I was hoping the paint code is located in the VIN (as the color I have now is not the original color). Any advise would be greatly appreciated. </div></div>

IIRC,

VIN numbers, as we know them today, did not begin in general use by the various states (certainly in Indiana) until January 1, 1956. Prior to that time, I believe the "VIN Number" used was the engine serial number. Is there not a cowl or firewall data plate giving codes for paint, trim, options?

Art Anderson

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Bill-W

The VIN as we know it today was not adopted by Chrysler until 1959. The 1958 models used the letter "L" for the model year, followed by a letter for the make and a number for the series or engine.

The serial numbers prior to that were just that, numbers issued in sequence.

The numbering system began with the 1924 Chrysler Model B, at 1001. In 1930, when Chrysler dropped the FEDCO system, seven-digit numbers appeared with Plymouth starting at 1,500,001; Dodge at 3,500,001 and 4,500,001; DeSoto at 5,000,001 and 6,000,001; Chrysler at 6,500,001 and 7,500,001 and Dodge Trucks at 8,000,001 and 9,000,001. Later Plymouth used numbers from 2,000,001 and 3,000,001.

By the late 1930's only Canadian-built cars and trucks had serial numbers starting with "9".

Bill

Vancouver, BC