Real Problem - Fuel Tank

mobius

Ok, so I had this really loud and annoying noise coming from my fuel tank, and everyone I talked to said it was my fuel pump, and it was running all the time. I had it replaced, which cost me a decent amount, but the noise is still there, but a lot less obtrusive. The fule pump is still running all the time. Anyone experience a similar problem? Also, about every time I open the gas cap, I get a lot of fumes coming out; is this normal? The fuel tank occassionally make this loud noise like it is popping or something. I don't know if it is neccessarily the fuel tank making the noise, but it comes from that general area. I just need to know if this is an expensive problem. I am taking it back to the place that changed the fuel pump tomorrow.

1991 Reatta

129k miles

I know that the tank is unvented but isn't the EEC (evaporative emissions cannister) supposed to relieve pressure in the tank ? The third line from the fuel tank (vapor line) goes to the cannister. The popping noise you hear is probably the gas tank oil canning (like the pop you get if you blow into a milk carton).

Suspect either the EEC or the vapor line is clogged.

This may be a stretch, but I had a similar experience a couple of months ago. Loud humming noise coming from the vicinity of the fuel tank. After some invesitgation, it turned out to be a pinhole in the exhaust pipe.

It is normal for the fuel pump to run continuously. The fuel system is designed to circulate fuel at all times the engine is running. The fuel pressure is controlled by the pressure regulator at the engine which simply returns excess fuel to the tank, the pump does not turn on and off to control pressure. As for the noise, some amount of humming is normal, but if it is louder than before the original went bad, it may be possible they have one of the rubber isolators misplaced, which are supposed to be located where the fuel tank contacts the underside of the body.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I replaced it with the ac delco, which was only $75 at autozone.</div></div>

DO NOT TRUST AUTOZONE!!! Even if it says ACDelco on the box that the part was in. I bought a tranny mount there and when I opened it it was just absolutley horrible looking (severely flashed out), I then stopped at a local parts store and got one for about $5 more - same exact part# and box except the part looked good. And I have seen this numerous times with starters, struts, alternators, sensors, switches. About all I would ever buy there is oil or those little stinky trees. Thier parts cause more problems and headaches than they solve. Sorry done my rant grin.gif

Yes I've noticed that Advance has been going downhill lately too.

...and in some bizzarre cases I've seen gmpartsdirect.com cheaper than aftermarket chain stores even including shipping. But to me it's worth it to pay more and not have to worry about replacing it again, living with an intermittent or semi-defective part, wondering if it's gonna leave you sit 200 miles from home, etc. And GMPartsdirect.com has a great customer service department and handle things very professionally, a little slow sometimes, but always good service.