Oil pressure and substitute oil pump on a V12?

V.Milke

My '41 Continental's gage shows almost 50 pounds of oil pressure when I start it, but they gradually go down as the engine heats up. After a good while, oil pressure at idle is cero, but as soon as I step a very little on the gas pedal, it goes up again to about 15. Is this something to be concerned?

A second question would be: I just took the oil pan off and cleaned everything, including the fuel pump, which looks fine but shows a little wear marks. I remember reading in the past of a replacement for the oil pump which would rise oil pressure in the engine. Can somebody tell me if such a replacement exists and where to find it?

Thanks,

Victor.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Victor, Oil preasure should read 20# at 50 MPH. Low readings at idle are not uncommon and of no concern as long as idle periods are not prolonged espechially in hot weather. Alan Wheilahan sells a High Volumn oil pump for about $250 or you can use one from a 49-51 Lincoln V 8.(Some minor modification needed)As long as you read + l5# at speed, I wouldn't worry.

Alan's pumps will probably read about the same preasure that you already read. Remember his pumps are high VOLUMN not high preasure.

Bill

Bill:

Thanks for your response. According to your description, I don't need to be too concerned, as oil pressure rises as soon as I step a little on the gas to about 15 pounds. However, I would feel better if oil pressure at idle would show at least 5 pounds or so. You mention the high volume pumps. Are there any high pressure pumps?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Victor.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Victor, These oil pumps have always been described to me as high volumn pumps and distinctly not high preasure. Someone once said to me, do you prefer a lot of oil at low preasure or as scant stream at high preasure? The logic seems to be that I would prefer a lot of oil.

Bill

Guest 40-41 connies

If you do not have a mechanical oil gauge, buy one and hook up the line to the inlet that your oil pressure sender is located. This gauge will give you an accurate reading on your oil pressure. I had the same problem as you and used one I purchased from NAPA to test with and my oil pressure was 8 to 10 lbs higher than the senders reading. For test only. Pete

One common problem in this area is the oil sending unit. There are two varietys intended for the 50 and 80 lb oil pressure guages used on the pre and post war cars, using the incorrect one with the wrong guage will give you strange readings indeed. The senders are usually stamped 50 or 80 on the bottom of the unit, Rolf