Lincoln Zephyr: Marque or Series?

I have gotten into a debate about whether the Lincoln Zephyr is an actual make of car or if it a series (e.g., Pemiere, Cosmpolitan, etc.).

I would be glad to get any information or opinion on either side of this question. If you have a source for your position, it would be helpful for me if you could cite it.

I'd say it was a series. Afterall, it was sold through Lincoln dealerships along with the K-models to start. Now contrast it to the 56-57 Continental, the Edsel, and Chrysler's Imperials, which were all set up as different makes altogether.

In my mind the Zephyr is to Lincoln what the Mustang was to Ford, a very important model that reshaped thinking at the time and has a rather legendary status now. The Zephyr and the Mustang also did a lot to put their two makes in the profit zone for a while. Important models yes, marques no.

Ace

Oh Boy, you guys need a fine, sharp blade to split all those hairs, you are at the mercy of corporate decisions in these matters, and logic does not prevail, I like both Zephyrs and Mustangs because they are both fine cars, that suited my needs when I had, and bought them, I would prefer they were not blown up into cult status symbols personally, don't forget the T-bird too, and even the lowly Falcon had it's supporters, in spite of Robert Mac Namara, Rolf

Hi, I think the actual answer to your original question is that the Zephyr was the name ascribed to one model of Lincoln from 1936 to 1942, there was also a big model called the "K Lincoln" built during those early years, from '36-'40, then just Zephyrs, '41 and '42, and then just one Lincolns from '46-'48, hope that is responsive to your question, and is what you wanted to know, Rolf

Oh yes guys, this is xmas, so for heavens sakes crucify me!! But if you recall in 1940 the new Continental was termed the "Lincoln Zephyr Continental". meaning that even Ford didn't know what to to do with it, as well as your correspondent who in his lifetime has owned two '41 Continental Cabriolets, the best of which appears here, peace, and allowance made for senior moments, and too much Xmas cheer, Rolf