Tranny Rebuild, Stage 1 & Some Questions

CBoz

Hello All -

Just started the tranny rebuild, beginning with the tear-down last week. Original case with my serial number, so I'm excited! Seems to be a simple process, but you *do* need a press and the knowledge that the intermediate gear is held on with a key. When I get some time, I'll post some pics of the process to my website.

But a couple of questions for folks familiar with these transmissions:

1. As I understand it, 1936-37 Zephyrs used the same gears as the 85 hp Fords. I never expected this to be a fast car and, in fact, have bought a Columbia rearend to keep revs down at higher speeds. But is there any noticeable advantage to me getting one of the later, Zephyr-specific setups?

2. In 1939, Lincolns got an improved synchronizer unit. Is this significantly better than the stock one for a 1937? Would I have to swap out other components to use it? Opinions?

3. Finally, the main drive and intermediate gears look just fine, as well as the corresponding countershaft gears (probably because they're always meshed). BUT the low / reverse sliding gear is pretty worn (one or two teeth noticeably chipped) and the corresponding reverse idler and countershaft gear show *some* wear, but not much. Would I be ok replacing just the low / reverse sliding gear, or should I also replace anything it "touches" -- the countershaft gear assembly and the reverse idler gear?

All opinions appreciated.

Hi Cecil, am pretty familiar with the LZ and Ford transmissions which are basically the same. The first thing to determine is what you are dealing with, count the teeth on the forward gear on the cluster gear, I believe for a '37 it should be 28 teeth, if there is noticeable wear and chipping on the low gear, second from the back on the cluster, and the low reverse sliding gear, they should be replaced, the '37 syncro unit is vastly inferior to the '39-'48 unit used in all the later Lincolns and Fords, and you need the syncro assy and a different output shaft to upgrade your old trans. As far as the advisability of using the so called Zephyr gears, which have 25 and 26 teeth on the front of the cluster, I think it depends on the gear ratio in the rearend, if the ratio is 4:44 or 4:11, the Z gears will be desirable, as they are in '40 to '48 Lincolns, if you do have the Columbia it will work best with the Z gears and a 4:44 ring and pinion. To put everything Zephyr into your transmission case can be done, but all the parts are different except for the reverse idler and the Low Reverse sliding gear, If you have trouble finding parts, I can put you in touch with an old friend who has ample stocks of all parts needed, let me know, Rolf

Thanks Rolf and Ricko -

I'm still going through a lot of information. I counted my gears, and I have a main drive / cluster gear combo of 16/28 in there right now, which is a standard Ford setup. I don't know whether I have the 4.33 or 4.44 rear-end, but not sure how much difference that would make in this case.

Trying to keep straight in my mind the interactions to consider between the tranny gears and the rear-end. As a side note, the Columbia will drop the 4.33 and 4.44 down to 3.13 and 3.21, respectively -- a dramatic difference!

PS Ricko - I read through the 1955 article you posted; good information. But you think I can still get all the parts for $40? wink.gif

No Cecil, you will have to go a tad more than $40 for those gears, maybe in the '40's or '50's, but not now, also that 4:33 rearend was late '47 and '48 as well, and your '37 should have a basic Ford rear end, so 4:11 and 4:44 are your only options, believe me C, I have been down these roads, and know wherefore I speak, Rolf

Guest imported_V12Bill

Cee, Many parts in the Lincoln Trans. are interchangeable with theFord trans, in fact the Lincoln parts book gives Ford part numbers. If you know the part number (you do have a Lincoln chasis parts book don't you?) you can order the parts from Joblot Automotive Inc. in Queens Village, N.Y. Call and have them send out a catalog. Their number is l 718 468 8585. There are many areas of the Lincoln that uses Ford parts. Don't tell them you want parts for a Lincoln or they will tell you they don't sell Lincoln parts.

Bill

Bill

• 3 weeks later...