Dash knobs

AceCollins

My wife has ordered new knobs for my 37 LZ as one of my Christmas presents. It will be January before I receive them as they are being made now by John Moglia in Colorado. Here is my question, how do I get the old knobs off? Were they glued on or screwed on or something else? None of mine seem to want to turn? Can anyone lead me in the right direction on this one?

Ace Collins

Guest imported_V12Bill

Ace, Not sure of the 37 knobs, but my 48 has a combination of screw on and press on knobs. I only replaced the turn signal knob, and to remove it I just crushed the plastic with a squeeze of the pliers. To install, I heated the metal portion in boiling water and dipped the plastic in the water until it became soft and pressed the two together. I am sure John has instructions with his knob kit though.

Bill

Guest imported_V12Bill

Springer, Usually headlite switch knobs are removed by pulling the switch all the way out, then depress a small knob or button on the side of the switch assemble under the dash. Pull the knob and shaft out of the switch assemble. The switch assemble usually has a nut retaining it to the dash.

Bill

Bill,

I love this forum. I found a brass clip that locks the shaft of the light switch in. Just pushing on it didn't release the shaft, but by rotating it at the same time it popped right out. Now I get to get to write a big check for the wood grain work. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and have a happy New Year!

Dave