56 Push Button Delay

When I select neutral or park on my 56 400 there seems to be a significant delay in the transmission moving out of drive into neutral or park. It's especially noticable when going from drive to park and sometimes I have to select park a second time or go to neutral first then to park. Anyone out there have an idea where I should start looking to rectify this problem. At least once I jumped out thinking the car was in park and it started to roll, not a good problem to have.

Guest imported_PackardV8

your particular description is not what i experience exactly. Mine will often select LOW when i go from R to D or H. I have to select N before D or H. (i rarely use D, nearly always use H). It is my understanding that my problem is not uncommon among the PB shift set up.

It is also possible that the spring contacts on the back of the button unit are broken and probably ready to fall off completely. If u take it apart u will notice that any broken spring contacts will be on the CENTRE row ONLY. I know why this happens and also have a fix for it. See an earlier thread here in this forum covering that.

NOTE, that i converted my PB to 3hree toggle switches and a small button to replace the button mechanism and safty switch and i still have the problem described above from time to time.

Guest imported_PackardV8

BEFORE u do anything. Try this: When it refuses to select P or N then tap the button pod housing with a screw driver handle. If that makes it work then your problem is broken conttact springs. One other problem could be adjustment of the power unit down on the side of the trans. The manual covers the adjustment procedure. Howe3ver, avoid disturbing the power unit until all other possibilities have been tried.