6 Volt Alternator Positive Ground

Guest Sifua

I'm beginning to succumb to the thought of NOT using a generator. There has been talk of 6 volt positive ground alternators on the scene. Have any of you used them or know what the amps size should be etc.? Or even if they really work. I would like to have a fully charged battery someday.

6 volt positive ground alternators have been around for a long time. A friend of mine was using an alternator on his 1930 Ford 30+ years ago.

I use a 6 volt, positive ground altenrator on our 1931 Ford Deluxe Tudor. I was always told that an alternator is best if the car is going to be doing a lot of touring (which we do) because such use will tend to burn out generators. Also, the alternator alows us to use the headlights while ideling in a parade and still be able to blow the horn when the kids want to hear it.

The generator did fine at first except but had to replace it when it went bad. The aftermarket alternator I am currently running on the Ford is a 30 amp unit which does well for my purpose. A friend recently gave me a heavy duty 6 volt, positive ground alternator that is 60 amps that I will either keep as a spare or install on the Ford.