6 Volt Alternator Positive Ground

Guest Sifua

I'm beginning to succumb to the thought of NOT using a generator. There has been talk of 6 volt positive ground alternators on the scene. Have any of you used them or know what the amps size should be etc.? Or even if they really work. I would like to have a fully charged battery someday.

Sifua,

I have not heard of a 6 volt, positive ground

alternator, but someone probably makes one.

With a digital volt-ohm meter, you should read

about 6.1 volts between the positive and

negative terminals of your 6 volt battery with

the engine off (assuming that the battery is

good). And, you should read about 7.2 volts

between the terminals with the engine running.

If this is not the case, then you have generator,

voltage regulator or wiring problems.

Are you using 1 or greater gauge (0 or 00)

battery cables? Are you using factory-style

crimped-on battery cable ends? Are all the

connections between battery and cable, and

starter solenoid and cable, and starter and

cable clean and tight?

After I start my 6 volt, positive ground car,

it takes only a couple of minutes (according to

the ammeter) to recharge the battery.

Check all this and let us know the results.

-Bill Davis

You don't mention what type of car and/or electrical system you have, so the answer may vary.

If you have a car from the mid to late 1930s through the end of the 6v era, then you probably have a externally regulated generator and you should be able to get the system, as originally designed, to keep your battery properly charged.

If you have an earlier car then you probably have a internally regulated third brush generator. That type of car requires constant adjustment of the third brush to account for varying driving conditions and weather (cold temperature cranking, using the lights a different amount of time, etc.). If you have a Ford, it is easy: A web search will turn up a number of vendors of external regulators that look exactly like the generator cutout. If you have a car equipped with a Delco-Remy electrical system there is at least one source for a electronic regulator that mounts inside the generator. I believe that source can also make one for some models AutoLite generators.

From my experience, putting an invisible electronic regulator inside of my third brush Delco-Remy generator has been perfect: The battery is kept as well charged as if I'd made the very visible change to a 6v alternator.

A couple of caveats: 1) Generators do not put out very much at idle. A regulator will not change that. 2) Your old generator will not put out as much power as a newer generator or a modern alternator. If you are adding significant electrical load to your car, the original generator may not be sufficient. But then again, the rest of your electrical system will probably not be up to the task either (switches, ammeter, wire gauge, etc.).

My electronic regulator web page is at:

http://www.ply33.com/Repair/voltreg.html

I have built well over 200, single-lead alternators. I have a 6 volt positive ground alternator in stock. I can build you a 6,8,12 or 24volt alternator in a Delco case. Zero maintenance,long lasting,and will keep your battery up with a reasonable amount of driving. Been doing electrical for 60 years,and doing tt 6 days a week ,even now. Ralph Crisp BCA 2399

Dont know what happened to my previous answer,please forgive me if it shows up,together with this one.I have built well over 250 single wire alternators,most went on "A" Fords,but they show up on about anything that has a battery and a belt to run it. I can take a Delco unit and produce 6,8.12,or even 24 Volts. I have a 6 volt POSITIVE ground unit ready to go.These units have special regulators,built in,and need zero maintenance.One wire goes right to the ammeter,and no otherconnections are needed. Ralph Crisp BCA(Buick Club of America) #2399