1928 Chryslers at Le Mans

• 7 months later...

I have a booklet entitled "Chrysler In Competition-European Road Racing 1925 to 1931" which has photos of the 1928 Le Mans cars, the 1928 24 hour Cass C record at Montlhery of 72.5 mph with hood erected and sealed bonnet and ,on the cover, a photo of one of the 1929 75s during a pit stop at Le Mans that year.The text covers the whole of the 1928 race.Every vintage Chrysler enthusiast should read this to see just how good these cars are.

Send me your details and I will let you have a copy.Contact me at fitzmckay@bigpond.com,P.O. Box 3 Warren,NSW 2824,Australia or fax Australia 02 68474652.

Would love to hear from you.

Doug McKay.

• 4 weeks later...

In the Summer/Fall 2001 issue of "Foward" (published by The Walter P. Chrysler

Museum)there is an excellent article entitled "The American Upstart" with pictures of the vehicles participating at Le Mans in 1928. It is of note that Chrysler entered chassis'carrying both roadster bodies offered on the series

"72".

• 10 years later...
Guest darren1929

Hello all, Can anyone tell what is the difference between a 1929 75 Le Mans car and a 1929 75 Roadster. Was the Le Mans an actual model? If yes how can I tell the difference, is it the that the Le Mans had no running boards and the fenders only covered the wheels? Also do you know the chassis and engine number of the Le Mans model. Regards

Love that caption from 70 Years of Chrysler above , stating the picture was taken at Bana in Sweden. Bana is the Swedish word for (Race-)Track, must have been difficult in the days before Google translate?

post-59101-14314308699_thumb.jpg

here is a 28 Le Mans photo with famous racing driver Louis Chiron and a stripped Series 72. These cars which were based on regular production models, that nowadays offers a low cost alternative to go Historic Racing with the 20 times as expensive Bentleys etc etc.

What impressed me is that the flathead Chrysler gave the Bentleys and some top European cars a real run for their money even though the Chrysler cost about 1/5th what the Bentley did.

There were a lot of Chrysler fans in Europe in those days. Years ago I read the memoirs of a Rothschild who was a young man in Paris in the twenties. He had a khaki Chrysler roadster. Fifty years later he remembered it went like a bird and how much fun he and his friends had driving it to the Riviera.

Rusty....the Chrysler had a very well engineered suspension and brake system....the red head flat head six was fed by a dual throat updraft carb....Chrysler's engineering team...Zeder, Breer and Skelton were exceptional. By the way Stutz should have won it...if they had not stripped out third gear part of the way through the race and had to finish in second gear they probably would have won!

• 7 months later...