1959 edsel 332 timming chain

Hi

Im wondering how to set the timming chain in a 59 edsel 332 cu.. somebody told me that on an edsel you don't line up the marks. they said they think you set it differently on an edsel.

Thanks Dave

Dave...Welcome to the forum.

On the Main Page, if you scroll down, there is a "Ford Products" topic.

I think you should post on that site for better exposure in receiving answers/suggestions.

Leave your original post where it is as there are Ford folks posting too.

In short order, I am confident that you will receive replies.

Regards, Peter J.

You are right...the ford Y blocks engnes do not align the gears to set valve timing. I just looked in the 1957 motors manual and it calls for "12 pins between the marks". I am pretty sure that your 59 E would be the same. The picture in the manual shows the marks on the two gears pointing to the drivers or rt side as you face the engine, with the 12 pins between the marks.

I remember decades ago in high school, the autoshop took on a project of rebuildiing the FFA truck engine and didn't do this....They could not get it to run and they ignored the wise-ass (me) that suggested that those engines you didn't line the dots up like on more modern cars. They still considered me a wise-ass after that...but they listened better grin.gif

bill