v12 with aluminum head and intake ?????

Where in the world do these myth's originate?? As far as I know, only '40 and '41 Continentals came with aluminum heads, intake manifolds are such a problem, anything could be on anything, I think aluminum heads could be special ordered on Zephyr's, but am not sure, for what it is worth, I too had a 1940 Zephyr and a myriad of '41's with steel heads, and even my basically original '41 Continental had steel heads back in the mid '50's, Rolf

Ok, enough, does anyone really know what was offered and when?

Did a 1940-41 Zephyr V12 come with aluminum heads STOCK?? confused.gif

Why are most Stock original 40-41 zephyrs I have seen have STEEL heads and intake? confused.gif

According to the LZOC Authenticity Manual, all cylinder heads from 1936 thru 1941 were unpolished aluminum (except for the '41 Custom that had polished aluminum). The '40-'41 heads had "the word ZEPHYR and O6H numbers in depressed relief in face of head." Also included is this statement: "1941 96H and 16H cast iron heads were replacement types and NOT original equipment." Hope this answers your question. This is what happened on my '39 LZ sedan.

Don

• 2 months later...

authenticity manual as well as the chassis parts manual and repair manual are invaluable tools. Through patience and detective work you can some day sound as smart as all us smart asses! Hang in there and good luck. Go to the LZOC home page, click on sources and look for the boys who sell da literture stuff, or books as I like to call em. wink.gif

God Bless You Dave, for finally cutting to the chase, and getting me out of this morass, I do not own an authenticity manual, and am not sure I believe everything attributed to it but have a hunch this guy will, again thank you, Rolf