Repro engine mountings

Guest MikeWilliamsUK

Guest imported_MikeWilliamsUK

Here in the UK there are no Lincoln suppliers and most parts I buy from the USA, but we do have Ford suppliers and as I believe the engine mounts are the same I bought a Ford set. The old engine mountings from my '38 Zephyr were completely flat, whereas the new ones are convex on the top (conical) and concave underneath. The rubber which sits below the mounting bracket did not have a metal stepped washer on its top, so I removed the ones from my old mountings and re-used them. Had to use the old bolts too as the new ones were too short for the '38 with its brackets cast onto the block.

All fits well, except that the engine sits too low. I will have to make some 1/4in or even 1/2in washers to pack it up slightly. Is this acceptable, or do I perhaps have the wrong, or inferior, engine mounts?

The reason I know it sits too low is that the car is a Jensen fitted with the Lincoln engine from new, and the oil filter canister just touches the steering column. Packing out the canister from the head would move it at an angle and not help.

Mike Williams

UK

Hi Mike, can't help much, but a quick look at the parts book shows that the front motor mount for '38-'48 carries the part number 06H6038A, this is an assembly that includes a combination of washers and nuts and bolts, the '36-'37 carried the regular Ford rubber "insulators" as they called them, so it looks as if you can succefully improvise with the Ford parts, if you get it high enough to get clearance, the function is the same, and should work fine, good luck, bet that Jensen is a sight to see!! Rolf

Guest imported_MikeWilliamsUK

Thanks Rolf. That's what I was hoping. With the missing special washers I wondered whether my repro mountings were sub-standard, but they seem Ok in all other respects so I'll just add a few washers.

Thanks,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

MIke,

Email me at zephyr@shoreham.net. I think I can be of some assistance.

Does the crossmember in the Jensen have two large 1 1/8 holes in the front crossmember. If so then you'll have to use the 1937 Lincoln front mounts, Similar to the Ford mount but with a longer bolt futher more the 1936-37 Lincoln used engine radius rods which were between the engine casting and the mount which would raise the engine another 1/2 inch. Perhaps the Jensen frame didn't employ this. We remanufacture the orginal rear motor mount (gear box) of volcanized rubber. You may want to conact Colin Spong in the UK (the leading authority) his email is colin@spong1.fsnet.co.uk