Michigan victory???

Terry Bond

I heard recently that Michigan had made some progress by enacting some hobby-friendly legislation that helps solve the insurance fee problems there, and improves antique vehicle registration. Since Michigan is where I come from I'm always interested in what they are up to. Can any of our Michigan friends post further details of exactly what was accomplished, and also how it was done. The info could be useful to lots of folks who are looking for help.

Terry

• 7 months later...
Guest Kestas

Michigan has made it easy to register antique (anything over 25 years) automobiles. You can buy an plate that designates the vehice as antique, or a better value is to find a 'same-year' plate and register that with your car for $35(?), good for life (as long as you own the car). Excellent deal. It's really sweet for me because I actually kept a 71 Michigan plate that we used in our family and I now use it for my 71 Cutlass.

We're still fighting a "catastrophic claims" premium tacked on to every auto insurance policy held in Michigan. It unfairly burdens collector car owners who put very few miles on their cars and are generally considered safer drivers than the hoi-polloi. It upped the premium on my policy with Hagerty by 25%. Maybe this issue has been resolved recently and I'm not yet aware of it.

I may have some of the details wrong, but this is the gist of what's going on in Michigan.

Guest 70 Electra

Guys, my 1/2/03 posting on this subject explains the status of this legislation.

In a nutshell, the legislation that was supported by Hagerty Insurance company was approved by the State of Michigan, but with a revision.

Instead of EXEMPTING classic cars from the MCCA (Michigan Catastrophic Claims Assessment), they are to be assessed at 20% of the normal rate. This is significant this year, since the latest MCCA fee is now about $100/car. (It had been relatively cheap a few years ago, so nobody really cared.)

Normally, the MCCA fee would be assessed to ALL cars, regardless of age, value, or useage. Under the new law the assessment on a classic car is approx. $20.

Be aware, that you will not AUTOMATICALLY get the lower rate. To qualify, your car must either have year-of-manufacture (YOM) plates, or historic plates. Furthermore, you must notify your insurance company, as they do not know how your car is registered. I got my bill from Hagerty and it had a notice in it about this. By calling them and confirming I had YOM plates, they reduced my bill by about $80/car.

Thus, using YOM or historic plates, now has an added advantage!

• 1 year later...

This is a copy of what Hagerty sent to me followed up by a phone call asking me about the proposed legislation. We'll be taking our convertible to Lansing for this event.

SAVE THE DATE!?.ANNOUNCING Michigan?s first annual Collector Car Appreciation Day.

The Hagerty Collectors Network recently asked Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm to proclaim Tuesday, September 27, 2005 as Collector Car Appreciation Day so that all Michigan citizens can celebrate the contributions car collectors make to the state and our world renowned automotive heritage.

Governor Granholm, Michigan Secretary of State, Terri Lynn Land and all Michigan legislators have been invited to celebrate at the Capitol in Lansing on Tuesday, September 27th from 12 pm ? 8 pm. If you can join us, please RSVP to advocacy@hagerty.com or if you are unable to make the trip to Lansing, try to plan your own collector car appreciation day celebration through your car club or with your enthusiast friends.

NO COLLECTOR CAR LEFT BEHIND! LEGISLATION?WE NEED YOUR HELP.

The Hagerty Collector Network has been working on a revision of HB 4362 that offers:

∑ Three new registration categories for all kinds of collector vehicles that include reduced registration fees,

∑ Occasional pleasure transportation (you?re no longer restricted to driving in parades and club events!),

∑ An 80% reduction in the annual Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association assessment; and

∑ Personalized plates (currently these are only available when you register your vehicle like a daily driver).

Before we present the No Collector Car Left Behind legislation to the Michigan legislature, we would like your input. Your personal experience registering your collector vehicle in Michigan will help us draft the best pro-hobby legislation in the country. Please visit Advocacy Avenue on www.hagerty.com to read an outline of the bill and email advocacy@hagerty.com with your comments and suggestions. Thank you for your support and commitment to making Michigan ?car collector friendly!?

Sincerely,

McKeel Hagerty

Hagerty Collectors Network

P.S. Do you or your fellow hobbyists have any Michigan registration ?nightmare? stories? Please share them with us online at advocacy@hagerty.com. We?ll share them with your Michigan representatives and the governor. They need to hear them!

• 1 month later...