Dizzydales 39 3-window

DizzyDale

Since i posted the 39 color question a while back,i sent to Dearborn for the production info on our 39.Original color was black and its gonna be black again.Got use of a buddys downdraft spray booth and were doin it Saturday morning.Every now and then a question comes up in regard to painting one of these cars the right way.I have not kept track of the time but i CAN tell you i have 500.00 of 2-part primer surfacer invested,not complaining,just could not afford to do it unless we did it ourselves.Stripping the old finish,sandblast all rust off,metal work,mud work,self etching primer,primer surfacer...HOW many COATS?BLOCKING surfacer.....HOW many times? till its STRAIGHT and finally the 2 part single stage urethane paint.Level and block the paint,depending on how smooth it goes on could be three times 1000,1500,and 2000 then the rubbin starts.HOPE i didn't put anybody to sleep,just don't be in shock when you get a 15,000 estimate to paint your Zephyr as i have described .diz laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Hey Dale, I was a body and paint man up to 1986, and I know paint prices have escalated incredibly since then, but Colorite is still doing show quality paint work for less than what you are saying, so you must be talking acrylic lacquer, or Nitrocellulose lacquer if you can still find it some where, that is the one that requires the rubbing, and is definitely not the original enamel used on your LZ, if you do that with modern paints, you will dull out big time, but remember with all it's problems, Black is beautiful, good luck, Rolf

Dear Rolf,I have talked to Mr.Spagnola a number of times on the computer,good guy and very helpful.In regard to our paint job,why don't you ask Ed how much he charged Mr. Crowley to do the body and paint on his Zephyr coupe sedan.I did not see the car in person but it surely looked flawless in the photos.Metal work,rust repair,working with an English wheel to form new door bottoms and time blocking everything from the primer to the finish paint is what takes the time and COSTS.I know it sounds like alot of money but once its done RIGHT you forget about the time and the dough.diz laugh.gif

Diz,

It will look super in black, but living in the farm country of Texas, my black Cobra cannot stay clean. When every other car I have has a layer of dust, it doesn't show, but the Cobra looks filty. By the same token, going down the road the black car sure does catch the eye. I really think the 3-windows look absolutely super in any color, and the black will add an air of class and a touch of the devil to the perfect design.

Ace