39 Zephyr 3-window color

DizzyDale

The past 6 months i have been doing the metal work,mud work and blocking on our 39 coupe.All the while thinking we were going to paint it black,it was not set in stone and i showed a 39 color chart to my Dad and we agreed on Buckskin.I guess my thinking is that any photos i have seen at a Lincoln Zephyr show, a lot of the Zephyrs are black or dark red and i thought that tan or creme would be more sporty looking ,instead of a so formal color, specially seeing its a coupe not a sedan.My question is has ANYONE ever seen a 3-window coupe painted that color?diz blush.gif

Dear Cecil,Thanks,Too light for my taste, i believe that is Neenah cream,looks great on Gordon Harbucks convertible sedan.I was thinking of BUCKSKIN,Don Elsons 39 limo is painted that color.As for EASIER for the bodywork,Cecil i did the bodywork thinking all along we were going to paint it black.I have primed and blocked as many times as it takes to make it STRAIGHT.diz laugh.gif

The picture Cecil sent is described as white, but does appear to be a very light beige, is possibly that the buckskin, looks more like a fawnskin?? Also speaking of colors, what is the color of the '38 sedan on the cover of the latest Way of the Zephyr?? Looks good in black and white, how about those prices to just go to an auction, ouch!! Rolf

Hi: I want to note a correction in the color of my '39 LZ Limo.

When I purchased the car I was told that the color was Buckskin. I wanted

to find as much as possible about its origin so I requested a register

card from Ford Museum. The card states that the color is Wren Tan. This

is a 1938 standard color. The car was made Nov. 3, 1938 and was painted the color

requested by the owner.

Don Elson

My 37 was originally green and painted the maroon or Zephyr Garnet later (I would guess about 30 years ago). I am not worrying about the color at this point, but thinking seriously about going back to the green when I get around to doing the body in a year or two. Everything I see is black and garnet. I think a car of a different color would make it more unique and special. I say go for the cream or maze color and make you car stand apart! After all, when you look at the old Zephyr ads, there were all kinds of colors shown.

Ace

Yeah, I've thought about this color thing several times, Ace. I like the fact that my Mustang was originally Tahoe Turquoise. Since I restored it back to original, it really stands out at the shows. Sure, the guys don't like it as much as the red, but *women* love it. As I ask my naysayer friends, "Which group would *you* rather please?" cool.gif

But the Zephyr was originally Garnet Red, so I'll probably go with that. BTW, I have one hupcap that is the original green, and looking at it, I think that color would look really sharp on your car, Ace.

Yeah, I candidly admit I am out of touch with the real world, or what passes for it these days, but to pay $50.00 for the privilege of bidding on a offered car, offends me greatly, meaning even the auctioneers have to rip us off to make it, right?? I am also known as Old Curmudgeon, or OC, so forgive me, Rolf

On color, Cecil, my 65 Mustang was originally white. I thought long and hard about keeping it white, then decided that a Fastback should be either red, black or blue. I chose the red. White looked great on my son's coupe, but it was not meant for the fastback design. I am going to have to see a green LZ before I do a paint job on the car.

Ace