Pics on using the KR Wilson hub puller

CBoz

Just in case you are interested:

http://home.mindspring.com/~bozarth/id5.html

Still not sure I'm using this tool right, although it worked. Basically, as you tighten down the wheel wants to spin. I had to pull on the lugs in one direction, while beating on the breaker arm in the *other* direction. Eventually worked, but didn't seem to be a very elegant solution. Am I missing something?

I beleive the car was purchased in North Dakota, where it had been sitting in a barn for years. The tires on it were not regular tires, but "farm" tires, so it's not surprising the brakes picked up a little bit of mud over time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I beleive the car was purchased in North Dakota, where it had been sitting in a barn for years.

</div></div>

and the barn was at the bottom of a reservoir once the damn was built.... laugh.gifsmile.gif

Hey -

Was cleaning out the area, and it became pretty apparent that at some time in the past it had had a seal leak, which let the heavy-weight oil in. Mixed with mud and heat, made a really goopy mess. I'm sure that rear brake didn't work well at all, but as Ace has told us, these cars don't need both rear brakes, right? wink.gif

All in all, a pretty simple set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Phil -

Yeah, I'm not sure I was using it right, but maybe the fact that the drums hadn't been removed in 50 years made a diff too. As I get used to working on this car, I hope to get a little bit smoother.

I tell you one major difference I've noticed: *everything* is so danged heavy on these cars! My generator casing was an honest 1/4 inch thick. I hope I never get in an accident with this car, but if I do, I know what my crumple zone is ... the other car!

Well guys I can report that the KD Wilson hub puller is the real McCoy! I tried a puller that attached to the studs and applied pressure to the axle and couldn't budge those hubs even after a lot of "beaten". The KD Wilson puller has a thread protector for the axle end along with very stout forgings that attach to the hub, completely around the groove. The threaded end of the puller is "loose" in the business end of the forgings so that when you give the end a good "whoop" all the force is transmitted to the axle allowing the hub to come loose. I can't think of a better tool for removing a Ford hub.

The hubs on my '46 had been on for at least 36 years and after one good tightening, a good smack or two and another tightening, off they came.