Rear seat - seat belts in '63

Pat Baysinger

I just took my seats out to have them recovered. The front seat belts were obvious, but I didn't see the rear seat belts. My chassis manual says the front seat belts are factory or dealer installed, but the rear belts are dealer installed only. I'm assuming then that there were never rear belts in this car, but I don't see any brackets or attachments to install them. I'd like to have belts for the back seat, but is it possible or should I leave it alone?

My '64 Skylark had belts in front and none in the rear. My wife said I had to put them in the back if anyone was going to ride back there. I don't see any holes either and would be interested in where to drill and how to secure them.

I'm sure someone out there knows.

Pat,

I posted the question on www.v8buick.com and received a couple replys. One of the guys suggested I look in my manuals. I pulled out the 1964 Buick Assembly Manual I have and it shows where to drill 1/2" holes and to put at least #8 bolts with rubber seal on the bottom and a washer and nut. The rear belts on my car were dealer installed according to the manual.

If you don't have a manual, let me know an address and I will copy and send you some pages if you want them.

Karl

i installed some in the back of my 64 convertible that i bought from jc whitney...they have a vintage chrome look, were cheap enough and came with hardware and instructions...the instructions were basicly the same method as my 64 4 dr that had origonal dealer installed rear belts...todd h